Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ASH TRAY DOOR

Joe Vette

Corvette
2005 Lemans Blue Coupe
My ash tray door won't stay closed. Even the slightest bump and the door pops open. Any way to fix this or am I forced to order the whole assy? Never use it but would hate to just seal it shut. Any ideas?

I don't have that problem but I'd be interested in the answer also. I'd also like to know if anyone has a kit to replace the ash tray and lighter with a storage bin.:thumb

Still under warranty? I have an '06 with the same problem. I took it back, they replaced the whole ash tray assy. Couple months later, popped open again. They replaced the whole assy. again. I did notice a different part number the 2nd. time. It has been fine since. There was a problem as you describe. Replace the entire assy. with the current part number.

I read a do-it-yourself ashtray door fix (no parts needed) on one of the Corvette forums but don't remember the fix or the URL.

I read a do-it-yourself ashtray door fix (no parts needed) on one of the Corvette forums but don't remember the fix or the URL.

Not under warranty anymore. Sure would like to know where you saw that fix. I took the unit apart and really couldn't see any way to repair. Tried to buy the latch assy but it isn't sold separatly. Maybe somebody has one from a console mod they had done?

Thanks I'll have a look at that. Would also like to have the door close "flush." Maybe that's a starting point.

Ashtray door latch

My ash tray door won't stay closed. Even the slightest bump and the door pops open. Any way to fix this or am I forced to order the whole assy? Never use it but would hate to just seal it shut. Any ideas?

Actually, it is a simple fix. Go to your local Chevrolet parts counter, order a new latch assembly, part #10324612 (about $12) then all you need is about 15 minutes, small LED flashlight, a small instrument screw driver, small needle nose plyer and a piece of dental floss 8" long.

Easily pry the right side of the ashtray door pin to the left until the plastic hinge pin is free of the pin hole and gently pull the right side back towards you (a bit of wiggling is required) until the tray holder can clear the lighter assembly, then slide the whole door and tray assembly at about 45 degrees out, to the left until the the left side hinge pin clears the left side pin hole and is clear. The whole door assembly should now be free of its mounts and a bit more wiggling is required to remove it from the opening. Then, on the left side of the opening you will see the same small spring loaded latch assembly that you got from the parts counter, simply pry the body of the old latch assembly to the left (so that it clears the holding tab) and up, then grab on to it with the needle nose plyer and pull it up and to the right until it is clear of the hole, throw it in the bush, and install the new latch assembly, get the bottom into the hole and then, with the small screwdriver, push it down until it clicks indicating that the new one is correctly in place. Then make a half hitch in the middle of the dental floss and slip it over the long end of the door spring (right side of door assembly), then wiggle the door assembly into the opening in reverse of how it came out, once almost in, you have to pull and control the spring (with the floss) so that the end of the spring is above the little shelf in front of the latch assembly while you locate the left side hinge pin back into it's hole, once in, the end of the spring should also now be resting on the shelf in front of the latch, then gently wiggle the right side in and down and locate the right side hinge pin back into its hole, re-install the removable ashtray into the door holder, push the door closed until it latches and you are done! Of course, you can invite a buddy over and turn it into a six pack evening if you need a brake from the wife? Up to you...LOL Anyway, there is no need to be buying door assembly kits etc, if you are even slightly handy it is an easy and correct fix for this annoyingly cheap overall assembly, good luck!

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom