Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ASR On/Off and other Tips for High Performance Driving Events etc?

trhao

If taking a stock LT1 w/ auto to a high performance driving event at a track (or even an autoX) ...

ASR on or off?

Tire pressure in the low 40s for track? (lower for autox) (Kumho Ecsta summers)

Transmission in D, not OD?

Fresh brake fluid?

Other tips?

thanks

autoXing

I tried it with the 92. ASR on and off. Go off and try it first.
Got better time in the off slot.
Tires, just enough air to keep them from rolling off the trims, unless you have race tires.
Trans, I leave it in the lowest gear that gets me around the track fastest.
Do not go over speed on the RPMs.
You'll need better than stock brakes. They will fade on the second or third run.
If it's a long day, you'll need new tires the next day, if you are in the running.
Best bet for tires, slicks, on the front.
The most important thing, have fun and learn your car.
PS; don't brake anything. Cones don't count as brakage. LOL
If you don't run over a few, you're not pushing it hard enough.
Walk the course a few times. Ask for help from the others there.
In the rain, it's more fun. Can't see and it gets hot in the car.
Let us know how you did and the fun factor.

Some of the advice above is incorrect.

Most importantly....the comment about tire pressures for autocrossing.

Tires, just enough air to keep them from rolling off the trims, unless you have race tires.

DO NOT follow that advice. Tire pressures that low will cause the car to handle poorly and may cause loss of control of the vehicle. Start at 35 psi cold, then alter tire pressure until the car handles best. If you're on race tires, contact the tire maker for advice on a baseline tire pressure.

You'll need better than stock brakes. They will fade on the second or third run.

More bad advice. Most autocrosses are relatively slow speed so I'd start with stock brake pads. A very aggressive autocrosser may need a brake pad upgrade on slow courses, however, if your pads fade on the 2nd or 3rd run on slow courses, you need some autocrossing instruction not different brake pads.

Now...if the autocross is a fast course (say 60 mph or higher), and you run that type of course often, you might want a different pad.

To remember...with autocrossing brake pad selection can be problematic. Some courses are not going to heat up an aggressive brake pad enough to it will work well. Choose aftermarket pads carefully.

Best bet for tires, slicks, on the front.

Still more bad advice. If you're going to run race tires ("slicks") put them on all four wheels. Do not run a street tire in the rear and race tires in front. The car will have downright evil handling.

Thanks!

It's been a few weeks but as I recall I ran about 38 PSI at all 4 corners. Normally I run about 32-34 for daily driving.

This is a daily driver and beyond experimenting with tire pressures I prefer to keep things mostly stock, maintained. That includes brakes/tires. Tires are Kumho Ecsta (summer) tires.

Street tires are no comparison to dedicated autocross tires but I can compare my times to others in B stock who also self-designate as running on 'street' tires. My other purpose at this point is to gain experience in pushing the car (and get a better feel for how it would react in the event of an emergency maneuver when on the street).

I kept the ASR off - when it activates - just too invasive when autoxing.

I did run across one situation where the car understeered consistently. There was a sweeping 180 at the far end w/ the last cone or 2 creating a decreasing radius. First 140 degrees or so was fast but I always seemed wide in the exit. Last couple runs I feathered the throttle a bit and that induced a little oversteer to point it in the right direction but still seemed a bit wide.

Anyway it was fun, great experience. My skills have a ways to go to be on par w/ the C4.

thanks again

On tire pressures, for the street with most street tires, 32-34 is a bit high if you want consistent tread wear over the long haul. For normal driving on the street I set 26-28 psi cold. I increase pressure if I know I'm going to run the car hard or if I'm taking a road trip and loading the car heavily.

As for that sweeping 180° turn....try reducing your corner entry speed just a bit, you may find your quicker through the turn that way.

And for ASR...you're right. That system on a C4 is too aggressive. It's good for the street, especially in bad weather, but not good for the track.

Balls out on the sweepers, you can make up some time there. I run Kumho xs and keep them about 33-34 on the course and they stick real good.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom