Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Astro Vent Drain Hose

Corvette
96 GS #145, Blk Int; 85 Red Coupe
Has anyone ever had to replace the drain hoses for the rear astro vent? One of the hoses is cracked on a '73 I'm working on. The drain hose shield in the wheel well is riveted on. How do you remove the rivets, worse yet, how do you put the new ones in?

The parts are available from Corvette Central, Corvette America, etc, what I need are some instructions/tips?

Thanks.

I drilled mine from the inside with a battery drill and 1/4" bit. Dont try to drill all the way through, just a little on the head so it will pop on out. I bought rivets at NAPA and a rivet gun at the hardware store. I bought my hoses and the shields at Corvette Central. Wish you luck.

My shields had rusted through in some places, most notably around the rivets, so it wasn't too difficult removing them. I was able to fit a hacksaw blade behind the shield and cut the remaining rivets without hurting the body. Instead of buying rivets, I used nuts and bolts, so that if I ever had to it again I wouldn't have to cut anything. Keep in mind that you'll need some help on one end with that method, though. I also applied a wrinkle paint finish on the new shields and the usual underbody spray to keep rust at bay.

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I didn't realize the rivets were accessible from the inside, they are covered with the sound deadening material. Once I get that removed, I shouldn't have any trouble. The nuts and bolts are a definite replacement item. I've found several broken rivets and have decided that stainless hardware works better as a replacement. I find a new parts supplier almost every day, cheapest so far for the tubes.
Thanks again for the help.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom