Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Astro Vent

R

rpounds

My '75 appears to have had the Astro Vents glassed over. I have been unable to ascertain the correct configuration. If anyone has specific information, or better yet, can provide photos of their astro vents, I would be appreciative.

Uh . . . that's fine, but it doesn't answer my question. I'm looking for specific information on the Astro Vent feature.

rpounds said:
My '75 appears to have had the Astro Vents glassed over. I have been unable to ascertain the correct configuration. If anyone has specific information, or better yet, can provide photos of their astro vents, I would be appreciative.

The astrovent system was only on non-A/C cars. It is non functional on A/C equiped cars (has dummy vents on rear deck). The Astro Vent was an air exhaust system. When the car was taking in air up front, the vacuum system would open two flaps in the rear bulkhead that would exhaust air out.

tom...

Ah, Tom . . . so your telling me that the vents were not glassed in . . . rather, since my vette is air conditioned, it was this way from the factory. This all makes sense to me . . . I was wondering who did such a great job on the glass!!

Again, thank you.

Ron

That is so funny, because I am getting ready to "glass" in my rear "astro" vents. I plan on cutting some fiberglass panels out of some flat glass scrap I have in the back yard, and simply bonding them over the open vents.

I think the only time the Asro Ventilation did any good was in the Winter time anyway.

These things are a major pain when it comes to washing this area. It is impossible to get all of the water out of the fake vents, which really become nothing more than reservoirs. If it were not for attempting to retain originality, I would figure a way to fabricate a drain for this area.

astro vents

I just use a little compressed air to blow the water out that's when I had a 75.
tom

Yeah, I did that too. It blew a little chip of paint off. Now, I have to re-paint the grills.

Astro Drains

My 71 cpe with AC is not where I can take a quick look ... but I seem to recall the dummy Astro vents just behind the rear glass DO have a drain(s) ...maybe it/they dumped into rear wheel well?? I can't remember ... have to take a look in a day or two. Maybe I'm delusional too .. we'll see?
JACK:gap

When these things are functional, you can stick your whole hand down in them. In fact, I am going to wait to cap them off until the paint is complete so there will be a "flow" of air to discourage junk from flying up into the paint. They also have drains that run off into the rear inner quarters. These were plugged solid and causing the water to back up and pour into the rear of the car.

air pressure is the key:D to remove the water and not paint:gap

Re: Astro Drains

Jack said:
My 71 cpe with AC is not where I can take a quick look ... but I seem to recall the dummy Astro vents just behind the rear glass DO have a drain(s) ...maybe it/they dumped into rear wheel well?? I can't remember ... have to take a look in a day or two. Maybe I'm delusional too .. we'll see?

Jack,
Yours should have the chambers and drain. But in '75 Chevy did away witht he chambers and just left an indention that the grills set in to maintain the look. 74 and earlier coupes with A/C did have the chamber and drains, just the venting was non-functional. These were maintained as the grills were over the interior storage compartment. On the 74 and earlier convertibles, the grill is there but it is open to the ground. The convertibles had the grills behind the interior storage compartment, so no need for drains.

tom...

Next question . . . I have heard some of the other NCRS guys say that the Astro Vent grills and the fresh air vent at the rear of the hood should be painted black. Can anyone verify the original color of these components?

rpounds said:
Next question . . . I have heard some of the other NCRS guys say that the Astro Vent grills and the fresh air vent at the rear of the hood should be painted black. Can anyone verify the original color of these components?

They should be body color. On the rear vents, the compartment below the vents are a semi-flat black.

tom...

defogger/defroster?

TOM73:
Thanks. Finally, checked my 71 cpe w/ AC. Rear Astro vent chambers/wells are there and they drain to top of wheel wells. Been repainted at least once, wells are body color now ... along with grilles. Interesting about how 75 up cpes just have indents. Other than the discrete panel/grille between hood & wiper door, mine has no hood grille. Mine seem to function rather well as pinestraw catchers!

Question: Somewhere I've seen references to rear window defogger/defroster ... is this referring to a convertible/removeable hardtop ... and those same (but functional) Astro vents?

Re: defogger/defroster?

Jack said:
Interesting about how 75 up cpes just have indents. Other than the discrete panel/grille between hood & wiper door, mine has no hood grille.
Just as a side note, the rear grill went away in 77. In 75 they became totaly nonfuntional even on non-A/C cars (most had A/C by then anyway). Also the hood grill started in 73 when they did away with the wiper door.

Question: Somewhere I've seen references to rear window defogger/defroster ... is this referring to a convertible/removeable hardtop ... and those same (but functional) Astro vents?
JACK
Both the coupe and conv had the option for a rear window defroster. These were forced hot air units that were located in the driverside of the rear storage area and had ducting to blow air on the rear window. No connection with the AstroVentulation.

tom...

the 74 rear convertible clip I put on my 82 has neat block of plates that pop rivet in place of the astro vent holes, you might want to consider finding a pair of these

rear grilles

I use a sponge to (attempt) to get the water out of the recess. This is not too good a method but it gets out most of it. It is really a bad design and should of never been made that way. I have even unscrewed the grilles and sponged out the water.
It just one of those things that you have to put up with. One day I"ll make a drain for it, but I hate drilling holes in the car.

Roy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom