Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Auto to 6-spd swap ?

T

Tonylong

My ride is an '89 roadster and I love it but I'd really rather have a 6-spd.
Has anyone done this swap ?
I'd like some feedback on this - or is this one of those ideas I should immediately forget about !
TIA

Ken

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1987 Z51 Silver Coupe
Welcome To The Corvette Action Center Tonylong!

It can be done I'm sure, but it's gonna give you headaches I'll bet. I don't know the specifics involved in such a swap, but it wouldn't be very cost-effective, that's for sure. Unless, that is, you had access to an inexpensive source for your parts. ;)

My HO. :eek:

_ken :w

BigRed

Corvette
1985 Bright Red Rocket
Well I can cover basic's...(Im a Basic guy :D)

Here we go

Clutch
Flywheel
(I think Bell Housing)
Clutch Fork/Hyd set up
Clutch Slave Cylinder
Clutch Master Cylinder
Connecting piece to both cynliners
Pbly a Console Change out
(With the tranny lets hope for the stem and knob Etc..)
Pbly a new Drive shaft

And alot of Heart and Hard work good luck man if I missed something anyone stuff it in here

:bang

BigRed

Corvette
1985 Bright Red Rocket
Lol the Pedal keep forgetting the bloody Pedal

:hb :hb :hb :hb

69MyWay

Corvette
1969 Killer Shark
I would not consider such a swap unless like Ken said, you already have a great source for the parts at a great price.

There is more to it than just the trans. The dual mass flywheel alone runs around $800 from G.M., then the clutch assembly $350, Slave cylinder $150, Master Cylinder $150, pedal assembly used $200 or so, Neutral saftey switch $50, Center console $150 used, Trans, $500-$1,000 used, computer chip swap $150, rewiring back up lights, speed sensor etc. $100, ......................................

You would be better off selling the car to a person that really wants an auto trans, and going on a search for a good six speed car.

I must say from personal experience, that driving the vette with the six speed is a real blast.

-=Jeff=-

Corvette
1990 ZR-1
It can be done..

I did it..

Cost was around $4500 for trans, Dana 44 (not needed) and a clutch.. along with all the pieces BigRed listed. The console plate for a 6spd is no longer made by GM and I heard is hard to find.. I had one in my 89 until recently.. I sold it since I am installing the 91 dash in my car..

T

Tonylong

Thanks for all the feedback !
It's just what I needed.
I guess I'll be checking prices on a trade versus about $ 4,000 to $ 6,000 to do the swap.
Regards to you all.
Tony Long

maxrevs85

Corvette
!985 ,blue coupe, 4+3 Z51
Chris , do you know where there is a 6 speed to replace my 4+3 ? Is that feasable ? What do you think it would take?

69MyWay

Corvette
1969 Killer Shark
maxrevs85 said:
Chris , do you know where there is a 6 speed to replace my 4+3 ? Is that feasable ? What do you think it would take?

Dave,

I beleive that Supernatural400 here has a complete ZF six for sale cheap. Check him out under the market place.

maxrevs85

Corvette
!985 ,blue coupe, 4+3 Z51
Ok thanks chris ......and yes Ken is doing it right. I would loooovvvveee to have the richmond 6 speed ...buuuttt, its not in my reach at this time. I have decided to rebuild my engine and I'm going the 383 route, with the stock tpi . Going to port everything and go to 2.02 valves . My engine guy says not to worry.:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Partners

Top Bottom