Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Auto-x in the Rain (lots of pics) Sorry no Go Pro videos yet...someday.

93Rubie

Corvette
1993 Ruby Red 40th Anniversary Coupe
I'm tired of the rain around here so I said, screw it, I'm going anyhow.

Rained the entire time, a cold one at that. 45 degrees. The SCCA chapter I am running with has a new venue. One that is for our use and will be kinda like a "home base." A private airport that was not in use. Had it repaved, and the access road was SUPPOSED to be graveled, well....it kinda was.

I learned some things today about auto-x in the rain.
1. Street tires are better than slicks.
2. My car and be oversteer then understeer and back again, very quickly.
3. ASR is GREAT. I'd still be doing donuts.
4. ABS is GREAT.
5. Pavement texture is critical in rain, smooth=ice, more rough=some traction.
6. Lots of countersteer needed...
leaving.gif

7. Clean, pretty Corvettes do indeed NOT melt in the rain.
8. I love my car even more, never missed a beat the whole day, errands after auto-x included.
9.This being my 3rd ever auto-x, I am still way slow, but its fun.
10. Death wobbles with a Corvette are possible, I had one, saved it and didnt hit any cones!!!
11.My Corvette offically has more off-road action to its credit than most SUV's and trucks on the road. Only scraped twice and no damage at all. Very slow, however.
12. Taking your clean, nice Corvette and auto-x in the rain is hardcore, at least in my book. Factor in the off-road and it is crazy.
crazy2.gif

13. Corvettes are fun, I enjoyed the day.
coolgleamA.gif

I got lots of pics so here we go...

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.

PICT0004-2.jpg

Car before I left, clean, picture does it no justice.

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.

PICT0005-1.jpg

Car when I got there, a little muddy, wait till you see the access "cow path."

wol_error.gif

PICT0006-2.jpg

wol_error.gif

PICT0007-2.jpg

wol_error.gif

PICT0009-1.jpg

Looking back at airfield from gravel run off area, access road in front see next pic.
wol_error.gif

PICT0008-1.jpg

Cow path, in front, I did not take the pics of the worst parts, had to drive and PAY attention.

wol_error.gif

PICT0010-1.jpg

Access road around airfield.

wol_error.gif

PICT0011-1.jpg

Hill, yeah....

wol_error.gif

PICT0012-1.jpg

I was never over 10mph.

wol_error.gif

PICT0013.jpg

More muddy, rock BS.

wol_error.gif

PICT0014.jpg

woohoo.gif
Back to pavement, all 100 feet of it on the access road. Highway in front.

wol_error.gif

PICT0017.jpg

Interior held up well, nothing a quick wipe and vac cannot fix.

wol_error.gif

PICT0016.jpg

Number and class...
cheers2.gif
B Stock, cause C4's are too slow for SS and AS. Oh, well, hard to compete with 400+hp.

wol_error.gif

PICT0015.jpg

Back home, paint is a little dull so are the wheels. Nothing a wash and detail cannot fix. Maybe it will stop raining this week and I can find some time to spend 3 hrs detailing her.

Watch out! Autocross is VERY addictive.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom