Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Automatic or Manual

B

brad8938

First let me say that this site is the best out there. Most of the others wouldn't even of replied to my posting. Thanks for the helpful advise. I am going to look at the 74stingray on tuesday. My next question deals with the transmissions. Which one auto or manual would be easier to deal with. I have a 96 Dodge Ram and when I hit about 70 the engine starts to surge like it wants to shift down. This is not something that I want my Vette to do when I get one. Has anybody ever seen this in an automatic vette. I myself would prefer a manual because it just seems a whole better. But on the other hand if the clutch went out about how difficult is it to replace it. I am no master mechanic and only 20 years old. Thanks

Welcome To The Corvette Action Center

brad8938 said:
First let me say that this site is the best out there.

:eek: :L

I myself would prefer a manual because it just seems a whole better.

Yer Right! It is better in a manually shifted Corvette. :D There's nothing like rowing your own gears. :J

I agree with Ken. I think the manual tranny is more fun, and thus better in a Corvette. I had a '78 with a 3 spd auto, and now my GS with 6 gears. Double the fun!:)

What ever you go for at least it'll be a Corvette!

Jason

P.S. Welcome to the Club!:upthumbs

Automatic or Stick ??

brad8938,

That is a good question. You will hear good arguments for both. Oops I mean discussion on both :D

Both can have problems. I lean toward the 4-speed There aren't as many parts and I have a basic understanding of how they work, along with the Clutch assembly. Automatics have always been like magic to me.. I've never R & R one, and have only owned one Corvette that had an automatic in it.

Shift kits are available for automatics,.. Scott81 just did a major on his 1981 changing from the TH350 to an 700r4. In my humble opinion.. Sticks are fun to drive and you can get the feel of the Car immediately.. Automatics are nice too and in heavy commute traffic they are really nice..

Either one Brad would be a good choice.. if you can try both the Automatic and 4-Speed before hand would maybe help you to decide or give you a better idea of which you'd prefer.

Good Luck this Tuesday.. We have our fingers crossed for ya..

BudD
:w

auto vs. stick

Hey Brad,
Surging at 70 and acting like it wants to downshift?....you won't find a Corvette that will do that unless there is a problem...these babies like to go! Perhaps you should check your Dodge for a vaccum leak, check its cruise control or its tranny.

You will get more advocates for a manual tranny than an automatic....but I like the automatic. Manual trannies, clutch pedals and stick just don't get along with me. I can drive a stick...but I don't like it. When I go thru Dairy Queen for an ice cream, I wouldn't like having to juggle all the pedals, steering wheel, shifter AND an ice cream cone!

What ever you decide to buy, it is only you that has to be happy with it.

Silver

auto vs stick

Throw my vote in with the automatic crowd. I've driven plenty of sticks in the last 33 years and I much prefer a properly set-up auto. Keep them serviced (oil & filter) and they are trouble free.

Dale

Two different cars

Brad:

As far as I'm concerned the manual transmission vs the automatic makes the vehicle two entirely different cars. I prefer the stick shift. But when I drive it I have a tendency to put the car through it's paces, if you know what I mean. I guess it brings out the "TAZ" in me. I don't like it in the daily rush hour "gridlock" crawl going to and from work.

Brad8938,

Automatic or manual, we have both the 62, 72 and 98 are manuals the 82 and 92 are automatics. I'd say a lot depends also on what type of driving you are going to be doing in the vette. Is it a daily driver? Our club drives a lot of Parades and homecoming activities at least 40 to 50 events a year that are 2 to 5 miles long. Driving at about 2 mph. So if you're in a manual you're on the clutch the whole time. :( I know a lot of clubs don't do a lot of these type of activities, so it would not be a problem. But if you're in stop and go traffic it would be the same. I love the manual in the 98 for open road driving! Love the automatics but am always trying to shift when I'm driving, for some reason. ;) :w

I love the old 4 spd it makes me more than just a pedal pusher I become part of the machine. but if you take 2 identical cars one auto and one standard. The Automatic will blow the doors off the Standard every time in the quarter mile and you can eat an icecream at the same time.:grinshot

billagroom said:
...but if you take 2 identical cars one auto and one standard. The Automatic will blow the doors off the Standard every time in the quarter mile and you can eat an icecream at the same time.:grinshot

I disagree with that statement. The auto will run more consistant numbers much more easily than the standard, but I think the standard (under an experienced driver) would have the edge cause it's easier to control your RPM's with a clutch.

Jason :w

Ice Cream and Qtr Miles

I have never taken a car to a drag strip and "run what ya brung", but if the opportunity ever came my way, I certainly would not be eating ice cream with a spoon out of a cup, I have a 4 speed. Nor would I ever, ever eat a cone when going throught the traps at, what? 90 - 110 mph risking chocolate macadamia peanut butter crunch on my shirt or seats. For these adreneline sparking activities, a cold beer :drink is the thing to have in your hand. An experienced driver can manage a cold one while shifting as long as 90 degree turns are not required very often. :D

OK, OK, in case my sick :puke humor is not "getting traction", I am only joking about drinking beer when drag racing. Never mind the beer, whiskey's the thing! :L :J :L :crazy

Brad - good luck - whatever you end up with. The wisdom written by the others is right on, I can only but add this advice:

DON'T JUST SETTLE FOR SOMETHING. KNOW WHAT YOU WANT, AND GET WHAT YOU WANT! It may take more time, but that's part of the hobby and a fun part, too. I have never regretted spending more $$$s than I had planned to by getting the car I lusted after. Happy hunting and cruising.

:cool

4spd`s are fun

The 4spd vettes are fun but even though I own one they are great on the open roads but a PITA to drive around town.

As for dragracing a properly set up auto with the right torque converter and rearend gears will beat a similarly powered manual any day and will be consistant all day. If you saw some of my tickets from the strip the times are all over the place, it`s fun but very difficult to repeat. The Z28 I had last summer would run within a couple of tenths all day, something the vette has never done in three seasons.

And the clutch change, I`ll let you know about that in the next week or so as I have just cooked mine and will have to change it.:cry

J.

brad8938 said:
I have a 96 Dodge Ram and when I hit about 70 the engine starts to surge like it wants to shift down. This is not something that I want my Vette to do when I get one.

If you're you're intention is sprited driving, get the manual.

As for the 96 Ram, you shoulda bought a Chevy or a GMC. Once you get past the eye candy of that Peterbilt-like hood, Dodge trucks really pale in the powertrain department, compared to a GM product.

Count me in as a manual guy. I have the 4-speed in my 81 and that was one of the requirements when I went looking for a corvette. Theres nothing like finding a long stretch of open road and dropping down a gear, listening to the 4 barrels open,and watching the speedo climb. With a manual you feel more connected to the car. Just my .02 cents worth. ZAL81

You have to have a manual. Automatic is for transportation purposes only. The manual puts you "at one" with your machine. I was just a dumb jock in high school and never even cahnged the oil in my own car. With a Haynes Manual, I have done all kinds of work to my 68, including the clutch. I won't say it was easy, and I am glad you don't have to change it once a year, but i thought it was fun. It's a new hobby for me. And yes it works great, i did it right.

Manual

My opinion would be the manual trans. All the fun cars I've had were stick. The "family" cars have been auto's. My Vette is an auto, but I didn't choose it that way. If you have a choice and you're not going to be stuck in traffic while commuting to and from work, go with the stick.

There's no other feeling like slammin' the gears in a Vette on an open highway! ;)

Just make sure you got good brakes! :L

Shay

I agree 4 speed manual for me the feel of shifting those gears. I new a 4 speed was for me when I got my 79 L82 4 speed

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom