Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

automatic shifter

tig57

Corvette
82 blue corvette
Does any aftermarket company make automatic shifters for the 68-82 vette??? I have an 1982 and have not been able to find one. I don't want to chop my car up with some universal unit. The stock shifter is ok but not really reliable for good positive shifts. Any help would be great. Kyle

So whats wrong with your existing shifter?
There is a cockscomb spring that rides in a detent in the tranny itself that actually locates the shift points inside. 1-2-3 in the shifter Handle just slides thru.

I'm a little confused. You say that the stock shifter is not reliable for positive shifts, but it is an Automatic transmission.

I'm not sure what you're asking about.

wow, I did'nt think this was a hard question. Yes my car has an automatic. Yes the stock shifter works fine for what it is. I would like an aftermarket shifter i.e b&m, or hurst. Like a ratchet type or gate style. I would like to have one of these shifters so if I feel like racing someone or just want to play around I can. (and not have to worry about missing a gear) Also, I don't care for not being able to manually shift down to first. I know ecklers sells a 4speed automatic conversion kit but I'm still left with a sloppy shifter. Maybe some you have stock shifters that act like an aftermarket one but mine does not. As of yet I have not found an aftermarket shifter for the car so I may be stuck. Again, if you know of a company that sell AFTERMARKET shifters for these cars let me know.

I don't know of ANY aftermarket shifter that would accomplish what you are after, and I'm looking for the same as you:
I have a HURST Dual Gate II shifter that fits 'into' and 'under' the console of my '79 Z28, and had considered modifying that type of shifter, but am not sure it'd physically fit into/under the C3 console.

...I would like to have one of these shifters so if I feel like racing someone or just want to play around I can. (and not have to worry about missing a gear)....

With respect, I don't see how you could manage to miss a gear with an automatic transmission, but I suppose stranger things have happened. Whatever you eventually choose to install may not resolve the problem. Missing a gear is driver error and the type of shifter used won't help in that area.

:)

I have a hurst dual gate shifter from an 82-92 camaro but I would have to modify it to fit. It would look really nice in there and very accurate. According to mike however it would'nt make any difference. (driver error) Of course I have used stock shifters, b&m mega shifter and hurst shifters and there is no comparison between a stock shifter and aftermarket! I know if I "babied" the shifts it would work fine but I would rather focus on the business at hand. Thanks for the input.

With respect, I don't see how you could manage to miss a gear with an automatic transmission, but I suppose stranger things have happened. Whatever you eventually choose to install may not resolve the problem. Missing a gear is driver error and the type of shifter used won't help in that area.

:)

I had planned to bracket-race my '82, where running the quarter-mile within .01-seconds of you dial-in is important:
having the ability to 'bang' the shifter into the next gear, knowing it wouldn't slip into Nuetral, would make the job easier, and the Dual Gate II, with it's spring-loaded detent, accomplished this very-well in my Z28.

It's possible the console version for a '73-'81 F-body could be easily-modified for your application, but since I no-longer have a Corvette Series to compete-in, my '82 will remain stock.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=HUU-2920001&N=120 400134 306739

well it isnt hard to miss a gear with an tranny.shifting your trans manually will select a diffrent mode for it giving more line pressure in low and second to the clutches.

i know this is an old one but, had to post to it to share this fact. dont drag in drive or od

i know this is an old one but, had to post to it to share this fact. dont drag in drive or od

Why not ??... My 700R4 is adjusted properly and it shifts at 5600 RPM every time when mashing the pedal.. I could not do that consistantly by moving the shifter. OF course my engine is far from stock and so is the tranny and it has all been setup so it works together. My shift points perfectly match my torque curve and it shifts at the precise rpm my cam and intake start to limit top power. If your linkage, tv cable and governors are set correctly there is no reason to shift manually.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom