Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

AutoWeek: C7 on hold--How long must fans wait for a new Corvette?

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
C7 on hold--How long must fans wait for a new Corvette?

By MAC MORRISON
AutoWeek.com

Corvette Racing's C6.R won the American Le Mans Series' inaugural Green Challenge competition at Petit Le Mans, but General Motors' troubles with the type of green that really matters have thrown the Corvette's future into disarray.

Multiple sources confirm that the General's financial crisis has led the company to put whatever plans it had for the next-generation Corvette on indefinite hold, with no official or set timetable.

In this climate--we've even heard tales of janitors removing lightbulbs from corporate headquarters in an effort to save money--not only is an all-new C7 now more than just a few years away, but even a significantly refreshed or upgraded C6 looks unlikely to appear anytime soon.

One version of the story says that when the decision was made to shelve the C7 for the time being, a plan was suggested to upgrade the C6 significantly in 2012 as a '13 model. Today's Corvette would be eight years old at that point and as much as 12 years old by the time the upgraded car was finally phased out in favor of the C7. Had this occurred, the C6 would have gone down as tied with the C4 generation as the second-longest-serving model in Corvette history. As things stand, multiple sources say this idea also is dead.

Perhaps the most disconcerting thing for fans is not that a new car has been delayed but that GM leadership does not appear to have a clear roadmap for the Corvette's future. On the other hand, no one has suggested that the model is in danger of becoming extinct. While the Corvette is the most visible GM product to enthusiasts and therefore the subject of much speculation, the fact is that GM's entire product port-folio was under review as of press time.

"Whether [you are talking about] the C6 or C7, I'm not going to comment on future product [specifics], including engines or any of that," Corvette vehicle-line executive Tom Wallace told AutoWeek. "We're still working on future Corvettes, but the scope of change is not yet decided. There are changes, some neat stuff, coming for 2010 that I can't talk about yet."

However, Wallace did not imply that those changes would cause anyone to consider the 2010 C6 to be a new car. He also denied that there ever was a specific year targeted for the C7's launch. And he acknowledged that new-in-2007 federal standards pushing corporate average fuel economy to 35 mpg by 2020 are playing a role in determining the layout and hardware of the next-generation Corvette but stressed that the issue "hasn't inhibited Corvettes. No one is saying we're not doing Corvettes. We're still bullish on Corvettes."

Asked whether there was any chance that the car could die, Wallace was emphatic. "No way," he said.

But with the next car's characteristics not even decided and GM in financial disarray, we don't anticipate the next incarnation of America's sports car to bow before 2014--and we won't be surprised if that estimate turns out to be optimistic.

This article was last updated on: 10/16/08, 22:18 et

well, in the current business market, gms priorities won't be on the corvette anytime soon. the caddy, vette, and other low volume cars aren't making much difference to the bottom line and restructuring and survival will take priority for many years over redoing the corvette which is selling well and makes a decent margin (albeit at relatively low volumes)

until gm can get the stock and cash flow moving in the right direction survival will take priority. if indeed they can make it. the gov't will likely bail out the automakers, but force them to restructure the product line.

what we really need right now is for the gov't to help with the product devel and technology development to give the USA back our technical edge instead of focusing on regulations and poor financials that make us even less competative in the world market.

cafe and some of these other "unachieavable" and technical unfunded programs should be put on hold, and let the R&D focus go to decent battery tech and electric vehicles. if gm can get a viable volt platform into production with good performance for 30k, they will sell a bunch of them.

I want "mr fusion" on my next vette so I can fly to work on reprocessed trash. :chuckle but I don't mind waiting for it and flogging my LPE ZR-1 and my Z06 Twin turbo for now. they outperform the c7 and likely will look better too based on what I've seen so far.

make the next vette a small dohc, fuel efficient and most important LIGHT vehicle.

400 hp with a low friction drive train at 2500 lbs would be plenty.

we can do it, but not without the $$ to fund the next super vette

ferrari is going that direction, smaller, less hp, ligher, better handling.

but it takes some volume production of CF mag and ti parts, along with leveraging some solid tech

the LSx platform is small and light and makes good torq, but I believe a dohc with variable cams or better still variable valve technology is the next vette. but make the styling killer, make it light, go with supportive and better seats, and make it handle and stop like nothing before

a better looking lotus style vette (a bit bigger) but with a better power to weight ratio is what would make me buy a c7, just hope its not made by toyota:eek:hnoes

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom