Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Auxiliary cooling fan sensor

Paddywhack

Corvette
1986 Dark red coupe
Hey all...I understand that the auxiliary cooling fan sensor, located between plugs 1 and 3,was an option and not installed on all '86 vettes. I have one, but with the headers installed now, the plastic connector is right at one of the header tubes and is getting brittler by the ride. Seeing that it was an option and not controlled by the ECM, can I replace the sensor with a plug and lose the connector inside the split tubing sleeve?

:beer Thanks

I guess you could but you would lose the aux fan. On my 1989 it's just simply a single wire push on connector. Why not just leave it and splice in a new connector when it goes.
IIRC it's just a ground supply.

you would lose the aux fan. .
Is mostly ineffective at it's std operating temp @ 238 .Can install lower temp switch so it comes on sooner.
Replacement connector w/ pigtail here $8.50;
EFI Connection
same as knock sensor plug

Is mostly ineffective at it's std operating temp @ 238 .Can install lower temp switch so it comes on sooner.
Replacement connector w/ pigtail here $8.50;
EFI Connection
same as knock sensor plug
That is what I did. Installed a 180 degree thermostat, used a different temp switch for the aux fan, and replaced the pigtail (cracked when removing it). The aux fan now kicks in around 215-220 degrees. The aux fan sounds like crap, but it doesn't come on that often with the lower temp thermostat.

Thanks Vette and BadDuck..I forgot to mention that the stage II chip now controls the fans alot earlier, I believe. My only concern was that the pigtail connector/wire needs to be bent in a 90 degree angle so its not hitting the header tube, even then , lesss than a 32nd of an inch clearance. Didnt know if it heated through and the wire dropped during operation/travel, something would go whacko.

It just a ground wire so no big deal if it drops. Just changing your chip won't affect the aux. fan on/off without rewiring.

OK , i'll leave it alone and not worry about it, order a new connector and pigtail and have it on hand for when its done. Thanks guys

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom