Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Average oil temperature leves?

Z06PACE

Corvette
C5 Z06 Z16 Comm. Ed.
Was out and about today visiting some friends in our (stock) 2006 LS2 vert (1st time i've driven it personally in many months)- I noticed the oil temp was reading out 212-215 during casual highway cruising. Now our 2004 z06 (C.E.) which I drive daily can run highway casual cruise at average 190-192. Highest I've ever seen my C5 temp get was just the previous day cruising on way home, testing some readings on my MPG and even set cruise at 87 mph in a 70 for just a couple minutes, flipping through the HUD I saw my oil temp at 202-204. I know that 215 isn't a threateningly high temp to be concerned about, but does the ls2/C6 generation tend to run that much hotter? What do others with C6's (LS2 info preferred) trend? It just honestly surprised me that our C6 had that much of a difference compared to our C5; and I can't really think of any reason that the C5 being a Z06 could be any sort of answer to this. p.s. I couldn't find any results in searches about this, but if it's been discussed before, my apologies for reviving an old topic.

I can only tell you that the oil temp on my LS3 runs in the 208-214 range .I'm to old to remember what range my 2003 ran.;)

With the type of oil you are probably using, the difference between 208-214 and 190-192 is not significant.

When you see sustained oil temp of 260 or higher, then start to worry.

As to why do the LS2 and LS3 run hotter than the LS6? There could be many reasons...

1) LS2 and LS3 are larger engines
2) Gen 3 and Gen 4 may have different locations for the oil tem sensor.
3) The block designs are slightly different.
4) The oil pans are somewhat different

Lastly, if you are concerned about ultimate durability, be it an LS2/3 or an LS6 engine, use Mobil 1 10W30 rather then 5W30.

Thanks for the info. I knew there were some alterations from the one generation to the next, didn't really expect it would cause any noticeable (albeit minor) change in temp. - It's nothing I was overall concerned about; just mostly curious if the C6's do tend to run a little warmer in general.
With the type of oil you are probably using, the difference between 208-214 and 190-192 is not significant.

When you see sustained oil temp of 260 or higher, then start to worry.

As to why do the LS2 and LS3 run hotter than the LS6? There could be many reasons...

1) LS2 and LS3 are larger engines
2) Gen 3 and Gen 4 may have different locations for the oil tem sensor.
3) The block designs are slightly different.
4) The oil pans are somewhat different

Lastly, if you are concerned about ultimate durability, be it an LS2/3 or an LS6 engine, use Mobil 1 10W30 rather then 5W30.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom