Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

awesome "Merlin" auctioned @ B-J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Corvette
71 War Bonnet Yellow VERT 71 BH Blue CPE (SOLD)
I recall many posts about a 74 BBC C3 with twin Whipple blowers ... seems it was a Seattle-area IT pro's project ... with about $250K invested ... vette was nicknamed "Merlin".

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I saw that same car sell last night at Barrett-Jackson televised auction for under $70K ... bidding action was light for Merlin.
JACK:gap

I saw this car listed in CarDomain (best pictures are on page 2). Pretty wild... 1200hp!

720214_42_full.jpg

That's an amazing custom Vette. Under $70K and light trading, eh?

Barrett-Jackson and other similar auctions tend to cater to collectors and/or investors. Unless a particular custom was created by someone famous (ie: Barris, Greenwood) or has a particular history (ie: movie car or celebrity owner), customs tend to do poorly as compared to pristine "factory correct" classics.

-Mac

b-Jackson

I caught the tail end of the bidding on that vette.
I have sold a lot of cars over the years through B-J and know a lot of the regulars there. The modifieds will get a good premium if its drivable.
If its a wild cam ad 6000 stall, its not going to fetch any money.

Barry

The Original Owner

I followed that car for over a year as it was being built for a financial investment advisor in Fla. I believe by the name of Steve Kamis. He had an ongoing website that tracked the building of the car with pictures of it when he first bought it as a beat up junk. With the trials and failures, assembling, disassembling it was truely a masterpiece with more money invested than you could imagine. His site has since been long gone, what a car, the best of everything and a very nice guy that would take the time to answer any messages sent to him on his site.

It would be cool if someone could get in touch with the new owner and get him to post on here. I would love to see another video of that beast on the road. I still have three of the videos, the one showing it starting for the first time, the driving one, and the one of him testing it on the dyno. I thought he wasn't able to get the full 1200hp out of the car though? Someone must have fixed the over heating problems...

He Tried, But Not Here

quickjagg said:
It would be cool if someone could get in touch with the new owner and get him to post on here. I would love to see another video of that beast on the road. I still have three of the videos, the one showing it starting for the first time, the driving one, and the one of him testing it on the dyno. I thought he wasn't able to get the full 1200hp out of the car though? Someone must have fixed the over heating problems...

I just read the link Photovette put up for the "other" forum and all 5 pages of the absolute proof this is the best Corvette site on the net. Anyone that doesn't believe me take the time to read the bashing the new owner just took. What a joke, the new owner tried very hard to explain his position, why he bought the car, his feelings on it and he was bashed right off the site as was the first owner Steve Kamis. I said earlier I went back and forth with Steve many times and he was a gentleman in all his sincere replies to my questions and compliments. The new owner was attempting to do a very noble thing and simply answer some long running questions that people had about the car and he was called things and accused of things that would cause me to attend a function of theirs with a lot of money in my pocket for bail and hospital bills, the bail being mine, the hopital bills NOT being mine until I was found guilty in a court of law. What a TOTAL DISGRACE and display of arrogance via a keyboard, where muscles are not required, just a big, loud obnoxious opinion. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the daily lives of some of these "experts", I'd be laughing so hard, I wouldn't stick to flypaper.
Sorry for the rant, this whole thing has left a very bad feeling with me for Steve, the new owner and the "other" site which by the way, I wouldn't be a part of for all the horsepower in the world.
I'd love to see the new owner post here, he wouldn't have to fight his way in or out, defend his financial status, his sexual orientation, or any of the other things that were picked apart.
I'm done.

I Would But.........

I'd get banned from this wonderfull site Bob:CAC

It looks to be a nice custom. It's sad when people have to bash someone else for just doing what they love. The new owner got a vary nice custom for the money, and the original builder obviously has good design sense and can turn a wrench, something his critics probably lack.

Customes are not my cup of tea but I do enjoy seeing a good one, and Merlin is nicely done indeed.

Customs are a reflection of the views and tastes of the individual owner. There are many customs which I like (including the Merlin) and some that I don't like but there are some folks who would rather see a Corvette rot rather than be customized. To each their own.

We love you too, Lou!

-Mac

The car was nicely done and was an outstanding piece of engineering and craftsmanship, but you gotta know going in on a custom project like that, that you're going to be upside-down on it before you even start to put it back together, as they generally appeal to a very small group of buyers. Most are done for personal satisfaction and recognition of their skills, but most buyers aren't willing to pay for that. :( The dead-stock restored '68 L-71 right behind it brought $30K more.

:beer

That car was always a source of some controversy over there. I never quite understood why some could not just leave the guy alone and let him do his thing. Steve did an awesome job on the car. I loved it. All of the work on the car was top notch and looked like it. Some folks over there cannot let one thread go through without bringing the car up and bashing it again.

Eddie 70 said:
That car was always a source of some controversy over there. I never quite understood why some could not just leave the guy alone and let him do his thing. Steve did an awesome job on the car. I loved it. All of the work on the car was top notch and looked like it. Some folks over there cannot let one thread go through without bringing the car up and bashing it again.

The owner could prove the car is for real by going to the strip and making 1 pass. Until then its just a pretty show car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom