Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Awful whine

• Thread starter Thread starter 01TriBlack
  • Start date Start date

01TriBlack

Awful whine...drone?

Hey, all. :) My car's got an awful whine. I haven't been able to isolate where it's coming from, but it seems to be coming from the rear. For a couple thousand miles I've thought it was the tires - but I'm not running runflats. It's gotten increasingly worse now to the point it's difficult to talk in the car. RPM's don't seem to make a difference - yet it gets proportinately louder with increase of MPH's. Oh, doesn't seem to be the tranny, either.

Rear-end maybe? And if it is the rear-end, what could the possible scenarios be and their fixes? Expensive fixes? No diff fluid is leaking, by the way.

Thanks for your input.

Mary

Sounds like a axle bearing. You say the whine increases (loudness) as mph increases. Does the whine constantly there during acceleration, cruising and deceleration? Usually if the whine changes pitch or decreases during accel, and decel, the rear end gears could be the problem. Still though sound like an axle bearing from the way you describe it. I'd get the rear end fluids checked asap.

MAC5 said:
Sounds like a axle bearing. You say the whine increases (loudness) as mph increases. Does the whine constantly there during acceleration, cruising and deceleration? Usually if the whine changes pitch or decreases during accel, and decel, the rear end gears could be the problem. Still though sound like an axle bearing from the way you describe it. I'd get the rear end fluids checked asap.
Thank you so much! It doesn't change pitch - just gets louder with acceleration. And a better word to describe the sound, really, is a drone. Make sense? If it is the axle bearing, is this a spendy, spendy proposition to repair?

Another question, if you don't mind :) , would I see a leak someplace if the rear-end needed fluid?

Many thanks,

Mary

Maybe not so bad...

Hey buddy

Before you start worrying about the major stuff, I'd eliminate the more procedural and cheaper possibilities. For instance, it may just be time for a fluid change in the rear. How long has it been since the last service? How many miles on the car?

I'd go in to the dealer and have them change the rear fluid and make sure they use the synthetic additive. It'll only cost you about $150, if that. Then see if the noise goes away.

It is entirely possible this won't cure it, especially if you've been running like this for a while. As was mentioned it could be a bearing, the gears, the tranny, etc. But like I said, go after the easy (and cheaper) stuff first.

Good luck! Let us know if you get it diagnosed.

-Smokey

Welp, left rear wheel bearing, as far as the mechanic(s) can tell. These are experienced 'vette mechanics so I tend to trust their opinion. Man, I hope they're right. He/they both drove the car, put it on the hoist (some minor play in the wheel), listened with a stethascope (sp?) - which was louder on left than right and checked rear-end fluid. The drone/whine can't be heard from the outside - just in the cockpit. The only conclusion they could come to is that the drone/whine is caused from a going-bad bearing... they ruled out the tranny, thank God. Good call, guys. Thank you. Your input's very much appreciated. :)

Mary

P.S. Kinda disturbing, though, that it's a wheel bearing after 24K miles. Oh well. :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom