Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Baby's progress 2/14/05

studiog said:
Barry,
It may be a little disappointing to you that the car isn't painted yet but it is good that this guy is so meticulous and through. No sense in rushing the paint and then being disappointed. Let us know when the big day gets here.

Hi Studiog

I'm not really disappointed simply for the exact reason you already pointed out - I'm glad my guy is so meticulous and a few days here or there won't make a difference except in making sure the car is as good as it should be. I'm the first one to be glad the job isn't being rushed. With all the prep work done on the body I can't see being anything but thrilled with the quality when he is finished.
Don't worry, you will know when the big day is here. You can be sure I'll post some pics

Barry, no not the 65' My wife and I both have 7 sec. rear engine dragsters. But the 65' will make a few passes just to see what it will run.

qwik-tripp said:
Barry, no not the 65' My wife and I both have 7 sec. rear engine dragsters. But the 65' will make a few passes just to see what it will run.

Tripp
ok, i was wondering if that blk modified '65 I saw last year had been yours. I guess not

Barry

qwik-tripp said:

His 'n Hers dragsters is terrific! I ran Top Fuel (AA/FD in those days) back in '61-'62, renewed my competition license last year (40 years after it expired) just to prove to myself I could still do it; wish we had today's clutches and tires back in 1961! :D

Launch2g.jpg

:beer

Damn John, that looks like a LOT of fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:)

did you build that yourself back than?

The car in the photo is me in a current Super Comp dragster; made 12 runs over two days to renew my license. Back in '61, I built my AA/FD with a 392 Hemi (Marine block and heads, Moldex crank, Carillo rods, Isky cam, 6-71 blower, Joe Hunt Vertex magneto, Hilborn/Enderle injection, etc.), Bear clutch and Velvetouch disc, narrowed Pontiac 3.08 rear, Logghe tube frame, Al Bergler aluminum panels, and two sponsors (Gratiot Auto Supply in Detroit and Midwest Auto Specialties in Cleveland - no way to run a fuel car without sponsors). Hauled it all over the country on an open trailer with tires and drums of alcohol and nitro behind a '57 Ford station wagon; Holiday Inns didn't appreciate what rebuilding oil-and-nitro soaked blowers did to their bathtubs ;LOL . You CAN learn to live on race-track cheeseburgers and beer :D .

I sold the car to Benny Osborn in 1962 when I went in the service, and he won the Nationals with it in '64 or '65; it was found and restored about eight years ago, and still runs occasionally in the Nostalgia Drag Series at Pomona and Bakersfield. We sat BEHIND the engine in those days :W

damn John, you do have the life! all the wild cars you have had, and the dragsters must be a complete blast to drive - i can't even imagine what it's like to be in one of those things at those speeds.

JohnZ,

That is fantastic stuff. My first love has always been rails. Do you have an old pic with you and the car that you could post?

Take care,
Brian

Yo qwik-tripp. You must be the guy that I met at Corvette's at Glasstown last summer. You were asking me about my experience with Conte's Corvettes as you were looking at a triple black one. Looks like you made a deal, congrats!

Fuelie said:
JohnZ,

That is fantastic stuff. My first love has always been rails. Do you have an old pic with you and the car that you could post?

Take care,
Brian

Brian, that was 43 years, a couple of wives, and about 20 moves ago, and I haven't seen my old photos from those days in years (although I think I still have my fire suit, mask, and breathers in a box somewhere), but I can still remember many nights like this in motel parking lots when I was on the road with it :)

MotelWork.JPG

Not to steal the thread... but I agree with Barry. John, you are the ultimate "car guy". Barry Meguiar should interview you for Car Crazy.

BarryK - I can't wait to see pictures when BABY is finished.

Thom

JohnZ said:
Brian, that was 43 years, a couple of wives, and about 20 moves ago, and I haven't seen my old photos from those days in years (although I think I still have my fire suit, mask, and breathers in a box somewhere), but I can still remember many nights like this in motel parking lots when I was on the road with it :)

MotelWork.JPG

John, you never cease to amaze me! I look forward to your postings on all Corvette forums and have gained a great deal of Corvette knowledge from you over the last for years. Thanks for all your help in the past and keep all the information and stories coming!

Thanks Ray

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom