Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

"back in the day...."

The 265 was a very powerful small V8 that was used for drags as well as the track...can anybody back me up???

Collin,

I remember being amazed in the late 60's early 70's by a '55 Chevy called "Knucklebuster" at Cecil County Dragway in Rising Sun, MD. As was the case with many of the "back in the day" drag racers this car was owned by a service station owner. He owned Glenville Esso in Newport, DE. That little 265 was a screamin' demon! I wish I could remember the ET's but suffice it to say many drag fans had a great deal of respect for what this gent got out of that little 265. As an aside, about 30 seconds down the road was another gas station. It was owned by Joe Jacono. When funny cars first came on the scene Joe was front and center. He had a car at Maple Grove Raceway this summer racing in a nostalgia event. I hadn't been to a drag race in about 10 years and rode up there and found Jacono racing and Bruce Larson and Jungle Jim Lieberman's cars on display. It was like a step back in time. Ahhhhhhh, back in the day!

Quick research turned up this:

Maryland Int'l Raceway
1/4-mile World Records (as of April 13-14, 2002)
  • SS/PA Steve Hurley '55 Belair 265 11.983 111.00
  • SS/OA Wayne Hayes '56 Chevy 265 11.472 113.80

Vette66AirCoupe said:
The 265 was a very powerful small V8 that was used for drags as well as the track...can anybody back me up???

Collin,

I remember being amazed in the late 60's early 70's by a '55 Chevy called "Knucklebuster" at Cecil County Dragway in Rising Sun, MD. As was the case with many of the "back in the day" drag racers this car was owned by a service station owner. He owned Glenville Esso in Newport, DE. That little 265 was a screamin' demon! I wish I could remember the ET's but suffice it to say many drag fans had a great deal of respect for what this gent got out of that little 265. As an aside, about 30 seconds down the road was another gas station. It was owned by Joe Jacono. When funny cars first came on the scene Joe was front and center. He had a car at Maple Grove Raceway this summer racing in a nostalgia event. I hadn't been to a drag race in about 10 years and rode up there and found Jacono racing and Bruce Larson and Jungle Jim Lieberman's cars on display. It was like a step back in time. Ahhhhhhh, back in the day!
We have a famous racer on our forum.But he was running blown & injected Hemi's Our own Wally Knoch

Ken said:
Glad to see that someone else notices things like that. You've visited Nitro Alley, right? :cool
I was there in person during the summer, I seen the hemi in person. and I also seen 40 or 50 years of racing history around his shops.I think I also seen Wallys first car he every owned, It was a memory for life and alot of fun allthough it was only for a couple of hours.

Thanks again Wally

I've told Wally that if I ever get back to that part of the country again, that his place is on my list of "MUST DO's" and "MUST SEE's". :bu

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom