Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Back into the Vette world

wvstar

Corvette
2000 vert bright yellow
Haven't been on the forum for a while. Sold my '99 FRC a couple years ago as I became interested in finding a convertible. Picked up a 2000 bright yellow C5 with 50,000 miles on her about a month ago. Car had a few "cosmetic" changes made to it. Some I liked and some I did not like. Easy stuff to remove/replace. It's the 6 speed manual. Has a short-throw shifter which took a little getting used to. Had the stock chrome 17/18" wheels with Goodyear Run Flats. Not a big fan of those wheels (or tires) so I ordered some Corvette reproduction C6 style black/machined face wheels (18's). Going to try 18's all around. Have Continental Extremes ordered for it in 275/35/18 and 295/35/18 which should be in soon. Car also has a Corsa exhaust but it's not very noisy...I had Corsa on my FRC and it sounded a little better. This must be the most "civilized" model Corsa sells. I don't run hard or race so I don't need the best stuff out there.

Another mod it has is a Halltech cold air intake...which I'm a bit concerned about. The cone style air filter sits down in front out of the motor bay and looks like it could be VERY susceptible to water! Any input on this from those with experience is appreciated. Most of the Halltech I saw online when I searched it out some looked like they were a bigger (wide) style and sit up in the motor bay farther. Redesign? Maybe I can just buy the newer filter style and move it up? Replace the whole dang thing? Don't really want to suck a bunch of H2O!

Anyway, it's good to be back in the Vette world.

Ron

Unless it sits all the way at the bottom of the engine bay or you decide to foolishly drive through deep water you should be fine. Personally I would replace it with a Blackwing style system.

The existing filter sits darn low! The bottom of the filter is about even with the front bumper bottom. Too low IMO. Looking at the setup, I think a Blackwing type filter as you suggest could be easily fit in place...might just need a coupler of some kind should the dimensions ID/OD of the filter not match what's there to fasten to. I don't plan to be driving through deep water...but do plan to take the car on vacation to the beach later this summer...and with the weather like we have had this year...who knows what kind of monsoons a person could encounter before getting back home. In the interim I may remove the filter, try rotating the down tube like 45 degs rather than 90 degrees and reinstall the filter up in the space where the stock filter would have been. Realize this kind of kills the "cold air" part of the intake...but that sounds safer than sucking water through an intake.

Thanks for your reply.

You may be able to rotate it enough to make you a little more comfortable. Good Luck and welcome back to Corvette ownership.

I fooled with it yesterday. Was able to eliminate the down tube and mount the filter directly up in the motor bay (pointing down as would a normal setup. It drives okay and does not throw any codes so I think I'm good. Feel better not having it down 6" off the pavement!

I like the Blackwing filter idea though from what I've read...think it will be an upgrade soon (existing setup is using a conical K&N)

Go to Home Depot and buy some weatherstriping like you would put around the doors at you house to seal off the front of the hood so water won't run down there on your intake.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom