Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Bad headlight switch or something else?

Derrick

Corvette
1975 Coupe
This morning when I started the vette up (dark outside) I turned on the headlights and my small gauge cluster lights were pulsing and my stereo was randomly turning off and on (I tapped into the cig lighter power for the stereo power during the original install 2 years ago). Then after a few block of driving I lost my oil pressure gauge, blinkers and flashers.......then 2 seconds later everything works fine.

On the way home from work (dark outside again), started up the car and when I turned on the headlights it would briefly turn off the stereo and small gauge cluster lights. If I flip to bright lights the stereo and small gauge lights turn off for even longer and then come back......Could the headlight switch be shorted out?

According to my battery gauge the alternater seems to be charging good. Any ideas?

Check and see if there are any loose wires possibly shorting out.

I once had an unused bulb wire become unfastened and it fell on top of my foil insulated heat barrier. Of course, this shorted the circuit and my gauge lights immediately went black - and it was dusk outside.

I took everything apart and didn't find anything wrong - talk about frustrating! I felt pretty stupid when I finally found the culprit about two weeks later. It was totally accessible and I didn't have to take everything apart.

My guess is you have bad grounds!!Grab the FSM and start running them down and cleaning them!!Corvettes have a ton of them,1 bad ground can and WILL make electrical things do all sorts of weird things!!:thumb:thumb:thumb Been There,Done That!!:thumb :D:D:D

anyone have a good wiring diagram they could send me showing ground locations?

On a 75,I don't know the exact location without looking,But there should be at least 1-3 in the rear close to the tail lamps on the frame,Under the left rocker molding behind the fender around the LT cowl body mount (2-3 wires) and a ground strap from frame to Bird cage!!There is a couple in the front from Head,Park and Signal Lamps to bumper brackets! Should be a ground strap from Frame to Engine!!I think there is 1-2 from the front harness to the frame or rear of engine,and I believe there is 1 over by the AC Blower motor to the Bird cage under the Rt Rocker by the Rt Cowl mount,with a ground strap the the frame!! The schematics I've got don't really show exactly where they are,you'll just have to look for them,because different years can be in a little different places!! Only C3 schematics I have are for 69,78,81 and maybe 79,I'd just have to look through my books!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

A couple of years ago, I repaired and re-wired my entire dash harness. It was quite a winter project (geez it was a couple of years ago.. wow time flies!).

CAC member Don Olson (aka "vetsvette2002") makes large wiring diagrams specifically for various Corvette years. I have mine hung on the wall next to my Vette. I referred to it when I was doing the wiring work. You can contact him at vetsvette2002@yahoo.com

Here's a thread with info on how to order: Wiring Diagram

Ralph

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom