Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bad shifts from a bad shift kit?

J

jpanek

Just bought a 94 vert, 87K miles, A/T. I've been reading this site for years and look forward to getting and giving advice!

The original owner had the trans rebuilt with a new converter, and a shift kit installed (part # 70360?). The 1-2 shift is hard, and the 4-3 downshift when increasing throttle has a bad shudder. It feels as though the trans is downshifting and upshifting 10 times in one second before settling into 3rd for the acceleration.

I'd just chalk it up to a bad trans, but this gives me hope:

If I shift manually while accelerating from a stop, 1-2-D-OD, all the shifts are very nice and smooth. Then at speed if I downshift from OD to D, there is no shudder.

The trans leaks a small amount of fluid, but the problems are there with the level full. I'll be replacing the fluid with mobil-1 synthetic atf shortly and putting in a new filter from the dealer.

Do those symptoms sound like they could be from the shift kit? Can I take it out and replace it with stock internals? I was hoping this could be a throttle valve cable adjustment or bad vacuum modulator, but according to the Haynes manual the 94's had neither.

Mine shifts hard in the 1-2 and usually spins the 285's if any gas at all applied. I run around town in D and only use OD on the highway where downshifts are minimal.

Auto trans

I've used Elk Neck Transmissions in Northeast MD near the VEIP station and really liked their work. Don't know where you are in MD but if you're close, give them a call (410)287-6799. They came to me very highly recommended and had be back on the road in 2 days with a guarantee.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom