Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ball joints from hell

MikeM

Corvette
1976 Stingray
I should have joined this site 7 days and 1 divorce ago!! I have a 1976 Stingray that I'm attempting to change the upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arm, and stabilizer bar links. My issue is I was told that I should knock the rivets out of the ubj and THEN use the pickle fork to get the stud out off the steering knuckle. If this is accurate I need to know what I'm doing wrong, if not what it is I need to do now. As of now the passenger side ubj has the rivets drilled out and I can't get the stud off the knuckle.

Hello Mike,

Sorry to hear about the divorce, sure a difficult time but as i see it you're up for new challenges! :)

On the subject. First or after removing the rivets makes no difference. The upper controlarm is there only to control camber so no real tension on it. If you already have a pickle fork put it between the ubj and the spindle get yourself a bigger hamer and go from minor to more force. Eventually it will separate! For the lbj it keeps the spring on tension so don't just separate it without thinking about it first. Good luck :)

Greetings Peter

Should a 3-5 lb baby sledge do the trick?

Gezuz...you guys and your impact tools.

To break the ball joints loose, use the proper ball joint tool. They're available from a number of sources and operate like a big C-clamp.

Then remove the control arm and then you can use a air hammer with a chisel blade to zip the rivet heads off. Then knock the rivets out with a hammer and punch.

IT'S OFF!!! now how am I pressing the new ubj into the control arm??

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom