Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Warning! Rear Half Shaft u joints

eoseitz

Corvette
1974 Stingray L82
Well I finally replaced my u joints on the front shaft and the drivers side half shaft. The front shaft went fine. The driver side half shaft was hell though. The side side that connects to the wheel gave me tons of problems. It was stuck in there and wouldn't come out. I ended up bending the bracket that connects the u joint to the wheel. I got it bent back into shape by drilling holes in an old rotor and and bolting the bracket to it. I then heated it and tighted the bolts until it was straight again. The u joints stuck on the knuckle side that attaches to the pumpkin as well. I heated it a lot before attempting to break that one loose. It came right out. I'd highly recommend heat and WD before attempting to break them loose. Just thought I'd share this info and vent a little bit. It can easily turn into a 12 hour job if you bend things. :mad

Bending 1/2 shaft flanges as been a problem for the past 40 years with these cars. The 1350 joints are in the flange very tight as you found out. If you look on the side of the tubes you may find them crushed from a vise. Removing them from the car shouldn't be too bad, removing the joints can be another story.

I bolt the flanges to a steel plate I made and then burn them out with an oxy/ace torch. If I find a flange bent I just replace it, if it's not perfect it will bind the new joint causing failure.

I agree with Gary, except that it's now been a problem for 50 years (1963) not 40. :rotfl

No need for WD40 or a torch- it is mandatory to bolt the flanges to a flat surface to prevent them from bending.

You're right Mike, 50 years! Although I wasn't working on them when I was 3! Are you coming down to Carlilsle this year?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom