Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ball Park $$$ to rebuild a 327/300

sag

Corvette
1963 & 1965 Rally Red Roadsters
Have an original 327/300 that lost a cylinder. 45psi compared to 140ish on the rest.

Am going to have it rebuilt. About what should I expect the cost to be??? I know there are many variables, but I'd like a ballpark figure to start out with. Would $2000 be too low or would $3000 be to much?

Let me know about any of your experiences.

It's in a 1965 Roadster

LOTS of variables involved, but I'd budget $3K for a good stock rebuild of a 327/300.

:beer

if you are in there messing around cleaning things up I would be tempted to stroke it as well as put a slightly more aggressive cam.......I took my 350 cu in and turned it into a 383 stroker with a lumpy cam.......

I lost a cylinder on my 67 327/350 in July this year and a friend of a friend who works at the machine shop rebuilt mine to OEM specs for $2740. He did it after hours on his time, so the cost was lower than normal. I think 3k would be a good average. :)

Are you sure you lost a Cylinder? Chech the valve and helper spring on that one first, same thing happened to one of my dads cars about 3 years ago, broken helper spring.

Tom M

Are you sure you lost a Cylinder? Chech the valve and helper spring on that one first, same thing happened to one of my dads cars about 3 years ago, broken helper spring.

Tom M

It's smoking very badly out of the filler tube, breather tube and exhaust. Could it still be the helper spring?

It's smoking very badly out of the filler tube, breather tube and exhaust. Could it still be the helper spring?

Not likely with the smoke and crankcase pressure symptoms you describe; sounds more like a broken ring or ring land.

:beer

327/300

I had a 327/300 totally redone including clutch, water pump, balanced, new cam, pistons, painted correct color, redo on carberator, etc and cost about $9,000. Runs like a "top". Might be a little on the high, but now even my grandkids won't have to worry about that aspect.

Have an original 327/300 that lost a cylinder. 45psi compared to 140ish on the rest.

Am going to have it rebuilt. About what should I expect the cost to be??? I know there are many variables, but I'd like a ballpark figure to start out with. Would $2000 be too low or would $3000 be to much?

Let me know about any of your experiences.

It's in a 1965 Roadster

I rebuilt the 327 in my Chevelle myself and with engine work needed (magnaflux, head work) and parts it was $1500. I'm guessing at least another $500 for labor if you're having someone do it-

Good luck.

Jim

I had a 327/300 totally redone including clutch, water pump, balanced, new cam, pistons, painted correct color, redo on carberator, etc and cost about $9,000. Runs like a "top". Might be a little on the high, but now even my grandkids won't have to worry about that aspect.

You had way more done than I need to have done. Thanks for the input anyway..

Thanks for the input!!

I've decided with the help of a few friends who are into rebuilding engines that I'm going to undertake the rebuild myself. I have advisor's that will critique my efforts and direct me in the correct direction..

I consider my question answered... Thanks for all your help/input.

Sound high to me. I just ruined all the main and rod bearings on my 63. A good short block rebuild in this area is around $1500- 2000 depending on the amount of machine work. I opted for a new 383 stroker ($1700), roller cam setup ($600 +/-) and reusing my RPM heads. Oh well, always wanted a stroker

I did my .030 over 350 long block for less than $1300. Other than the block, bare head castings, rods and crank everything else was new and upgraded over stock replacement rebuild parts. I did all of the labor except the machine work.

I have about another grand in the carb rebuild, new starter, Mallory distributor, custom valve covers, 7qt. pan and other external accessories. Shop wisely and you will do OK. The Cloyes timing set is missing from the cost summary because it was donated by a friend here on the CAC.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom