Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

BarryK's tips on how NOT to do things.....part 1

I never knew thats how you got the nickname...NOW i know....!!

Andy

:L

Vette66AirCoupe said:
I'm going to add another painting story. I collect O gauge trains. Years ago, I was working on my layout and I needed some "chrome" paint. I found an old pint and noting that the price sticker was from a store that went belly up about 20 years ago I figured I'd give it a shake. Low and behold there was still liquid inside! So I shook the hell out of it. Put it down on the table and pryed the lid off with a screwdriver. The lid flew off, hit the ceiling and came back down and hit me in the head before I realized it was open. Chrome paint was splattered everywhere (fortunately not on any of my prized engines). I cleaned it up best I could and decided that was enough for the night. When I got upstairs, my wife laughed hysterically. What? I asked. She said you look like Terry the Tinman. I went and looked in the mirror and she was right! I reported this on an O-gauge train forum and someone told me to read the label. Sure enough: "DO NOT SHAKE". And that's how I got the nickname. :D So when you're around your Vette (or trains) read the label!

........by the way, I just noticed that this thread is noted as being "part 1". Do you actually plan for these catastrophes? :D :D :D

Barry all I can say is "all's well that ends well".

When I first read your thread title I was sure something SERIOUS happened to the engine.

Vette66AirCoupe said:
........by the way, I just noticed that this thread is noted as being "part 1". Do you actually plan for these catastrophes? :D :D :D

;LOL

Barry,

If it makes you feel better I learn at lot of stuff the same way.:D

Dave
:beer

Terry, no I don't plan for these things but we all know my luck so I figure with my list of projects this winter there most likely would be a Part 2 at somepoint..........

Dave, I'm sure we all learn things the hard way but it would be nice to learn something the easy way just once.

Warren, who says I wasn't? ;LOL no, i wasn't, i'm not that dumb to do that by an open fuel line 2 inches from my face.

Barry,

Its all a learning process, but like previous posts stated THINK!!!

OK, Brake fluid is good, but did you was the rubber parts after you sprayed the brake fluid....Brake fluid can cause rubber based product to dry out. Use a soap water mixture and was the spark plug wire and other areas that have RUBBER...

Next. If you paint by hand NEVER hold the paint cup in your hand, you will always tip and spill...dah like you just found out. I use an oversized cup (NOT FOAM), normally I use a 16 OZ HEAVY PLASTIC cup, you know like you get at 7/11 when you get a big coke... but if you can get a hold of baby food jars they are great because you can seal them up...I cut it down and make sure I NEVER fill it more the 1/4 full...then I try to find a nice FLAT surfice in the motor area, usually around the front near the radiator, put paper towels down. Whenever you paint make sure you have THINNER, or Mineral spirits handy.

Finally, the paint brush, I NEVER use synthetic bristles, I use Mohair or natural hair, I get this long tip brushes at the auto body supply store, this hold the paint, so it does not drip...I have found synthetic fiber bristles have more of a tendency to drip and does not carry the paint very well. Another item that I use to do the block are those foam rubber square things with a wooden handle...you can get several different sizes and the paint does not dribble, but goes on nice and even...they are grey or black in color and you can by them at hobby stores or craft stores like Micheals...THESE ARE EXCELLENT...

I ALWAYS make sure I have a BOX OF RAGS you can get at the paint department at HOME DEPOT. And I make sure I cover areas that I know if paint dribbles it will be hard to clean.

Finally I use a VERY BRIGHT LIGHT you know the flood lights, so I can see everything.\

I love to paint and really never had any problems, but being in the Coast Guard we all painted the ships even if it didnt need it....we painted everything...take your time and THINK...

BarryK said:
I HATE being in front of or on camera. As it is I have to do just that for work and be on a nationally broadcast TV show on camera LIVE but i only manage to do that because they pay is decent when i'm on. other than that i'd rather not be on camera being watched and having everyone watch me make my mistakes, of which there are plenty.
Think about it this way......... at least now i can pick and choose what mistakes i make that I relate to you all. Yep, there are a lot more things than what I DO mention. :ugh

So, basically you're saying that Tim the Tool Man had a glandular problem, sprouted to 6'5" and lives on in a small town in DE?;LOL

EBVette said:
Next. If you paint by hand NEVER hold the paint cup in your hand, you will always tip and spill...dah like you just found out.

Collin, I actually didn't tilt or spill the paint, the paint actually ate thru the plastic cup like solvent would thru a styofoam cup which I didn't expect to happen.

I like the idea of those foam sponges and was going to try those next. :beer

personally I hate and dipise all kinds of painting, whether it be in the house or on the car. I'm only doing it because i really want to improve the look under my hood on the motor. Since you like it so much, when can I expect you up here to take over for me?! ;LOL

Dennis, i'm only 6'2"........ :D

You know Barry I have been thinking about you. Its great your digging in so agressively,

And its hard for some one who has never done this before to be so foward thinking to avoid all of the possible problems you may encounter,

Dont stop what your doing just understand what ever you break,damage or destroy youll have to fix or have fixed. This is how we all learned, by doing.

Allways keep your work area clean, Just incase you have an emergency and you have to re-act quickly you would want the least amount of stuff on the floor to trip over.

If I spill something i always clean it up right away as I cant afford to slip on something.

When ever I am working in the garage I make sure nothing is in the drive way blocking the bay incase I have to push the car out in an emergency,(car fire or I set the garage on fire)

As I said before THINK. You know I do allot of thinking prior to even working on my car.

Every night when I was done working on the 62,I would spend a little while wiping my tools down,and putting them away and straighening the garage.Only to pull the same tools out the following night to use. My Daughter whos real sharp said one day,Dad why dont you leave them out your using them again tomorow.

But its a regemin I follow. Putting the tools away is giving me a relaxed time to think and make notes of the plans for tomorow, and when I am taking them out to use them the following day its giving me a chance to get back into the swing of things and better understand what i exspect to accomplish for the day.

Maybee I could have finished the 62 quicker if I had not spent a half hour putting tools away and a half hour bringing them back out the following day.But for me this works it gives me the time to think of what I have to do.

Good Luck and dont get discouraged.

PS orginize your tools so when ever your done every thing is in its wright place,sortof like taking an inventory. the wrong time to realize your missing a wrench is when it comes flying out of the fan scroud when you start the car up. Or the wrong time to realize your missing a socket is when the car trys to crank over and it ddoesnt.

Larry
as always to come up with excellent advice. :beer

yes, I DO try to think things thru before just digging in, it's the way I am. i don't feel at all comfortable starting anything until I have at least some small measure of a game plan and how to accomplish it. It's one of the main reasons that I ask so many questions that i'm sure at times annoy everyone but unless I ask I have no clue even how to start or know what to try to expect.
The main problem is, as you mentioned, is that having never done this stuff before it's hard, if not impossible, to plan for everything or know what to expect every step of the way.
i know i'll make mistake and I can live with that. I just hope and pray it's nothing TOO bad and it's not anything I can't fix afterwards.
after I manage to do something successfully, even if it takes me two or three times to get it right, I know I now know how to do it again if needed in the future but than I have to start from scratch on the next job I tackle. It gets frustrating at times and it's rewarding and satisfying at the same time knowing i'm doing it.
so, as long as everyone here doesn't get completely sick of me, i'll keep asking questions, keep trying to do stuff and learn as I go, and hopefully I won't screw up too badly . :)

Hi! Barry

Advice is free and you sure are getting your money worth on this subject. You must be the record holder for postings with in a thread. I will add to this free advice. Any time I am working with solvents I cover the area that I am working around with a cotton cloth and then heavy plastic. I will cut out the plastic so that I can paint, clean or fill. It is amazing how far a splatter of solvent can travel. I even use this process when filling or replacing brake fluid. My dad taught me many years past that, " An once of prevention is worth a pound of cure" and I believe that you know what a paint job cost.

Ray

Ray

you know, so many things that people tell me as advice I've thought of but sometimes I haven't quite figured out HOW to do it.
Making off and covering the different parts of the engine compartment like you mention is one of them. I knew as soon as I decided I wanted/needed to touch up the paint on the block I also immediately though of covering up everything except the block itself than I looked under the hood and realized I knew of no way to actually do it. we aren't exactly talking about nice, even, straight lines or contours to follow to try to mask off. I wasn't sure how anyone else did it but figured it looks to be so much trouble to try attempting it that it was just as easy to just be extra careful and not do it....... well, we saw how that idea turned out! The point being is that many times I think things thru enough but don't know how to execute the thoughts so end up trying "plan B". In this case "plan B" wasn't a good plan.

A large sheet of heavy plastic would have been a great idea in this case. I could have taped the edges right up to the inner fenders tucked up to the hood surround and than cut a hole for the block just big enough to slide it down. The inside edge could actually have rested on the sparkplugs as I didn't need to paint below that level anyway. That would have worked for the sides anyway and than I'd figure something out for the front around the waterpump. Gee, where were you two days ago when i needed that idea :D
I believe strongly in what your dad taught you, but sometimes it's harder to follow than other times....... just from lack of knowhow.

BarryK said:

Maybe, but judging by the "adventures" you keep having, I get the distinct impression you're still growing.;) At this rate, you oughta be able to stare Shaquille O'Neal right in the eye by Christmas.;LOL

Barry, you mentioned PART 1 in your title.Are you anticipating PART 2 coming soon.I hope not.Good luck w/ your progress. Jim

BarryK said:
Collin, I actually didn't tilt or spill the paint, the paint actually ate thru the plastic cup like solvent would thru a styofoam cup which I didn't expect to happen.

I like the idea of those foam sponges and was going to try those next. :beer

personally I hate and dipise all kinds of painting, whether it be in the house or on the car. I'm only doing it because i really want to improve the look under my hood on the motor. Since you like it so much, when can I expect you up here to take over for me?! ;LOL

Barry, without a doubt if I lived closer I would have been there to help you out....I really do like to paint...although my friend, John, who shot my car would let me near it the day he shot it...so see, I know how you feel....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom