Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

battery acid on pcm and wire harness

c5 joe

Corvette
1998 light carmine
Hi my buddy brought his 99 coupe over to change the battery and holy cow when we pulled the battery acid all over he has no problems with the car , What is the best way to clean this off with out any dammage?? ;help;shrug I have been told to pull the pcm and wash down with 50 50 baking soda and water Thanks for any help JOE

Sounds like good advice. It's what I used on my wife's car 2 weeks ago.

Well we got er done and she runs great:beer our fingers are still crossed what a mess:puke Just seem like a dumb place to put a battery over a pcm and wireind harness:bash Thanks for the help all :upthumbs:thumb

I changed the Battery in my 2003 two years ago to a Optima Red Top just for this problem, I didn't want to come out some day and have battery acid eating away at the PCM. The Optima is a gel battery so there's no chance of acid leaking down. It's a crazy place to put such sensitive electrical components. :W

killian.
looking to do the same thing on my 04 Z06 this spring. Still has original delco right now. What is the catalog # you bought and is it the same dimentionally as your original. I have red tops in my 67 and 68 and love them. But i keep tenders on them always.
Jim

GM has had this problem before, a buddy of mine had his battery blow up in his 82' and guess what was right next to the battery in the battery box (and it ain't the washer fluid bottle). They could of at least made a separator or put it in the other compartment with the jack in the C3's then and remembered the lessons learned for the C5. I guess I need two Optimas myself.

I had the same issue with my '98 about 6 months after I bought it. The battery had already been replaced but the mess hadn't been cleaned up. My first sign of trouble was when the PCM started throwing codes and reduction of engine power. Kevin was swamped at the time and couldn't get to it right away so he suggested I take it to the local Chevy dealer and at least let them diagnose the problem.

When I called him back to tell him the stealership was insisting I needed $3400 worth of repairs... well, his exact words aren't suitable for print. :L

I took it back to him: he cleaned everything with a 50/50 baking soda solution, coated everything he could with plastic, fabbed up a battery tray and (I think) replaced my tac module. Along with a few other things the bill was under $500. :thumb

:wJane Ann

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom