Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Battery disconnect

67Boomer

I just put my 92 convertible away for it's winter rest. That is probably why the weather here in sw Pennsylvania has gotten about as nice as it's been all year!! *sigh*

Anyway, I wanted to know if there are any problems with disconnecting the battery for a long period of time, say 6 months. I would feel better to have it disconnected, but I'm not sure what, if any, effects it will have on the computers, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help and input.

Phil

Last year I neglected to disconnect the battery and as a result of the dreaded "parasitic drain" inherant to these cars mine froze solid and cracked open. I was going to remove it altogether this year but instead simply disconnected the terminals and left it in. It is inside, unheated storage with a full charge, so I think I'll be OK...

When I used to live up north, I used to take my battery out and leave it in my house. I would still go out about every 2 weeks and start the Vette up and let it run for 15 minutes or so. I never had any problems that way.

Jay

I do that to mine every winter and have not had a problem.

You might want to invest in the "battery tender".
It's sold in several vette mags and keeps a small maintenance charge
on the bettery all the time. It won't overcharge it, just keep it charged.
I've used one for several years in an unheated storage unit in the PA
mountains - never had any problems in starting it after several months.
LOL

Disconnecting the Battery

Another question on this topic- My 90 has the CD/Cassette option and according the the "black book" there is an anti-theft code on this system.

If I disconnect the battery does this mean a trip to the dealer in the spring to recode the sound system or will it just come back to life when the battery is reconnected?

Thanks for any help.

Pep Boys - Battery Tender about 50 or so $$. Will go into safe mode when battery is charged and will not fry your battery.

GM recomends to just disconnect the negative battery cable.

Re: Disconnecting the Battery

CyberFire 12 said:
Another question on this topic- My 90 has the CD/Cassette option and according the the "black book" there is an anti-theft code on this system.

If I disconnect the battery does this mean a trip to the dealer in the spring to recode the sound system or will it just come back to life when the battery is reconnected?

Thanks for any help.

Unless you know the code for your radio you will lose it's function when you disconnect the battery. I memorized mine instead of writing it down & guess what?
Trip to the dealer. Cost 60 bucks & this
was a while back. There's a possibility that a code has not been entered. Any hope of contacting previous owner, etc?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom