Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

battery drain. want to fix problem myself

B

blueslady

battery is draining

i own a 1984 corvette. i have replaced the battery 6 times, thinking that was the problem. I don't use the car every day. Something is draining the battery. Any suggestions??? Plus i need to find the fuse box. No clue where it is. Help!. Can't take this anymore. Blueslady

Your power drain could be anywhere, from a faulty brake light switch on the brake pedal to a malfunctioning door lock system to the mercury switch inside the center console door. My advice would be to take the car into your mechanic and have them look for the source of the power drain, an accomplished electrical technician should be able to find it pretty quickly.

For the longest, my battery keeps draining. I have replaced it 6 times, thinking that was what the problem was. NOT!. Anyone know where the fuse box is on a 1984 corvette??? My mechanic, say's he can't find the problem.......and he builds race cars and dragsters, and races them in N.H. I can't go on like this, i need my car..... would checking all the fuses help, or the starter, voltage regulator?? What else could rain out the battery like this??? Thanks Arlene aka (Blueslady)

blueslady said:
For the longest, my battery keeps draining. I have replaced it 6 times, thinking that was what the problem was. NOT!. Anyone know where the fuse box is on a 1984 corvette??? My mechanic, say's he can't find the problem.......and he builds race cars and dragsters, and races them in N.H. I can't go on like this, i need my car..... would checking all the fuses help, or the starter, voltage regulator?? What else could rain out the battery like this??? Thanks Arlene aka (Blueslady)
The fuse panel is inside the pass. side door. Do a search at the top of this page for battery drain. You need to place a volt meter on one of the terminals on the battery and start pulling fuses one at a time. When you see a change you have the narrowed the problem. On my 84, I found it was the light inside the center glove box that was staying on. Their is also one otherfuse for the theft deterant system behind the center information panel.

pull one terminal on the battery and put a milliamp meter in series with the terminal and the battery post. You should have low drain 2 to 10 mills, if you have more take out the fuses until the drain goes less that 10 mills

blueslady said:
thanks for the info. How do i get at the fuse box???
It opens from the right closest to the defog vent. If it was a closet door and you were facing it from the outside...the door knob would be to your right and the hindge on the left. The door comes completly off...its not attached

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom