Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Battery Mystery

Corvette
1981Dark Blue Metallic & 2004 conv. magnetic red
The battery gauge was reading 8 volts but the car started fine and the battery light was on, so I charged the battery and the gauge also the indicating light are still on. I'm puzzled out of my mind because she starts fine and runs good.
What could be causing this????????

Chuck

chockey said:
The battery gauge was reading 8 volts but the car started fine and the battery light was on, so I charged the battery and the gauge also the indicating light are still on. I'm puzzled out of my mind because she starts fine and runs good.
What could be causing this????????

Chuck
Alternator maybe??

Randy

Possible but the alternator, it is less than 1 year old. Does the gauge indicate alternator output or battery status???

Hi Chuck,

The voltage gauge indicates Voltage in the entire circuit. When the Aternator is charging the system you should see about 13 ~ 14 Volts register on the gage.

If you have a volt meter, put it across the battery and take a read, then start the car and read again, the voltage at the battery should be the same as at the dash voltmeter ;) If the voltage doesn't change, with the car running disconnect the alternator plug and then reconnect and see if there is any difference.

It's not uncommon for those old 3 wire plugs to have bad contacts, or even wire break inside the plug itself ;)

Bud

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom