Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Battery removal

is this what you mean?

I guess I need to jack the car up and crawl under and then I should see a narrow slot between the side panel and the rocker panel that I can slide the wrench into. Is that it?

I guess I need to jack the car up and crawl under and then I should see a narrow slot between the side panel and the rocker panel that I can slide the wrench into. Is that it?

No, you access this bolt from the outside of the Vette.

Check your Private Messages.

Nap time

Lay down and use a flashlight to look at the gap between the quarter panel and the rocker panel. You will see that they have enlarged the area were the bolt head is so that a wrench can be put on it. On mine I use a ratcheting wrench from sears that way once on the bolt I just ratchet away until the panel will slide off the bolt. The first time I had to change my battery it failed when I was driving the car with the outside temp at 0. I was able to cost to an Advance Auto Parts store and bought a new battery and changed it in there parking lot using their tools:crazy.

I find the thinner ignition wrenches work best. On my 1988, side panel removal was the best way to remove the battery. This is the recommended way. However, on my 1989, the side panel clearance is extremely limited, and I replaced the battery by disconnecting the bracket that holds the cruise control unit. This may be an option on L98s only.

Thanks !

O.K. Once I got down on my knees and looked at it, "Dawn came to Marblehead" , (as we say here in New England). There it was staring right back at me. So it wasn't near the problem I was envisioning, but it was still probably the most involved battery replacement I've ever done.

Thanks a lot for all your help guys. :upthumbs :beer :thumb

The first time doing this is always an education.

If you have to do this again, you will do this in less time, for sure!

Congrats on completing your task!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom