Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Battery Replacement Procedure

njlouc

Corvette
2000 Black Coupe
Thanks for all your info. I really enjoy these forums.

From all I have read the battery condition and voltage is very critical to all the computers doing their thing. My battery is about 3years old and seems ok however at some point it will need replacement.
I have a basic question: What is the proper way to replace the battery?

certainly I have replaced batteries in the past but the Vette seems like a new game. If I just disconnect it, I think I may be looking at wheel sensor,fob,radio,and other computer recalibration or some possible damage. Should I use a 9v to keep the circuits alive?;shrug

I was wondering the same thing and was thinking of attaching one of those portable 12v "jumper/emergency" deals when changing it out.

There's all sorts of gadgets that you can buy to prevent stuff like that happening. I don't know if you really need them. I've changed two batteries on two different c5's and never had a problem, and I didn't do anything special. Just pulled the old ones out, and put the new ones in.

If you have your radio programed with a theft code make sure you write it down, you will have to unlock it. Your fobs will have to be relearned (press lock/unlock at same time till it beeps) and that is all. If the theft security light does not blink on the radio when turned of the code was not enabled and you don't have to do anything to unlock it after battery swap.

If you have your radio programed with a theft code make sure you write it down, you will have to unlock it. Your fobs will have to be relearned (press lock/unlock at same time till it beeps) and that is all. If the theft security light does not blink on the radio when turned of the code was not enabled and you don't have to do anything to unlock it after battery swap.
Hmm,Thats weird!!I've never had to reprogram the key fobs after changing out a battery on a C5!!Vett Boys 03 vert had a battery cut off switch for winter storage,and My Z06 set here with out a battery even in it for 8 months and I didn't have to reprogram anything except the radio!:thumb:thumb:thumb

Hmm,Thats weird!!I've never had to reprogram the key fobs after changing out a battery on a C5!!Vett Boys 03 vert had a battery cut off switch for winter storage,and My Z06 set here with out a battery even in it for 8 months and I didn't have to reprogram anything except the radio!:thumb:thumb:thumb

Same here, except even my radio presets were saved.

Thanks for the info. It seems that battery changeout will be normal.

That is weird because every time I even disconnected the battery the key fob had to be re learned. Maybe re program is a bad language as appose to re learn as there really is a different re program procedure. :confused

That is weird because every time I even disconnected the battery the key fob had to be re learned. Maybe re program is a bad language as appose to re learn as there really is a different re program procedure. :confused

I just replaced the OEM battery and need to re-learn the FOB

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom