Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Battery Tender usage...

vetzs

Corvette
64 Red Vert / 89 White Vert
About 4 years ago I installed a new battery along with a green knob disconnect. I use a battery tender when the vehicle is done being driven for the day or whatever period of rest.

My questions....

Will I have any clue that battery replacement is due? Any warning the battery is about to fail?

Or....will I find myself needing a jump someday when I've gone somewhere in the car and shut it down?

I'm trying to avoid a scenario where the car starts because it has been on the tender but has a chance of failure for a start when on it's own when out somewhere.

Thanks..

I'd say that even with the tender you won't get a lot more time out of the battery.I know your concern and if I sat in your place i'd buy a new one this year.4 yrs ?????????

About 4 years ago I installed a new battery along with a green knob disconnect. I use a battery tender when the vehicle is done being driven for the day or whatever period of rest.

My questions....

Will I have any clue that battery replacement is due? Any warning the battery is about to fail?

Or....will I find myself needing a jump someday when I've gone somewhere in the car and shut it down?

I'm trying to avoid a scenario where the car starts because it has been on the tender but has a chance of failure for a start when on it's own when out somewhere.

Thanks..

I think when the battery is giving up the ghost, it is done and you won't have any warning. Normal logic suggests that it will fail when you least expect it or need it the most. I would check your battery warranty and replace it well before it expires....or the rules above will come into play for sure! I have first hand experience in that area with battery tenders that let the car start, but won't hold a charge to get you home when you stop and re-start (or try) the car!
good luck...Herb

Good question.

How do we know when to replace the battery?

Do we get any warning signs ?

-zzzBill.:confused

A very timely thread:)

At our last SC SACC meeting, Larry Pearson got up and went over this very topic. I was very interested because my Optima battery just died and needed replacement after only 4 years. He made some very good technical points:

1) the major cause of battery failure in cars that sit is a chemical film (sulfur??) that coats the cells and decreases the load capacity of the battery (or something like that)

2) With the use of a battery tender, a normal modern battery should go for 10 years before failure

3) If a battery goes bad before this time (e.g. 4 years), you can bring it back with the newer "pulsed" battery tenders that break down the sulfur barrier and restores the cells ability to create power

4) Do not leave a regular battery charger hooked up to a battery for a long lenght of time (> 8 hours) because it will overheat the battery causing premature failure

5) An as JohnZ mentioned - a battery is going dead when it doesn't crank anymore or is drawing excessively high charging currents.

I went out and bought a battery tender after this presentation and expect this new Optima to last 10 years.
:beer

I am firmly convinced that AC Delco batteries are junk. I have a 04 Trailblazer, an 01 Camaro and am on the 2nd on the Trailblazer and the 3rd on the Camaro. These are daily drivers. The 92 Zr1 is on it's 3rd since I bought it in "99. The ZR1 batteries have been on battery tenders for the last 6 years and that didn't seem to make a difference. This last time was on a Sunday when it crapped out and I bought it from Wal-Mart. I just got tired of trying to make the ZR1 look original by supporting AC Delco.

WITH THE BATTERY TENDER SHOULD GET 7 OR MORE YEARS.WE LEAVE THEY ON ALL THE TIME.WE YOUR BATTERY IS GOING BAD THE TENDER WILL KEEP COMING ON AND OFF TRYING TO KEEP THE BATTERY CHARGED.
WE NOW HAVE FOURTEEN IN USE NOW AND OUR BATTERY PROBLEMS HAVE GONE AWAY.

STEVE

If you have any doubt about your battery take your car in and have the battery load tested. This will tell you if it's performing up to specs. You can't predict it's exact failure time but you can see if it's starting to fall off.

As for Delcos, I've had bad and good luck with them. My daily driver '02 Cavalier is still on it's original battery and cranks strong every time. The Delco in the '81 Corvette is only 3 years old but it lives on a battery tender. I believe that inactivity shortens the life of a battery and the tender keeps it active. I know that I get 3 times the life out of my lawn tractor battery on the tender (so far).

Tom

Slow cranking, abnormally high charge rate. :)
your first clue will be no cranking and reaching for your cell phone for someone to come give you a jump....

If you have any doubt about your battery take your car in and have the battery load tested. This will tell you if it's performing up to specs. You can't predict it's exact failure time but you can see if it's starting to fall off.

Tom
I like that idea.;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom