Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

battery tender

drrandy3

Corvette
2015 Z51 Crystal Red coupe
many people are telling me it is okay to use battery tender without disconnecting the neg. , will only be using the battery tender for 2 mos. Is this true or a bad idea

I've used smart trickle chargers, like the "Battery Tender" since the early 90s. All I do is clip them to the battery posts. I don't disconnect anything. Works great. The typically extend a battery's life by a couple of years if they're used all the time.

many people are telling me it is okay to use battery tender without disconnecting the neg. , will only be using the battery tender for 2 mos. Is this true or a bad idea

I am sure you will be fine leaving the battery connected, I have been doing it that way for many years with three different vehicles and no problems. GM's position is that potentially the tender can send a spike voltage which can damage the electronics, so disconnecting the negative cable is the safest bet when using a tender. With the tender hooked up to 110 AC voltage, I suppose that it could be possible but only if there was a fault with the tender, which is a very good reason to buy a quality battery tender to be used on any vehicle. Read between the lines here a little bit: for warranty reasons it would be a very good idea to disconnect the battery negative cable before using any battery charger. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom