Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Be a part of Corvette History

69Crazy

I am collaborating with 69MyWay on a book to cover the best mods for a C-3. We are interested in your best ideas for any aspect of the car. This could include, but not limited to, suspension and handling, engine performance, cures for common problems, comfort, and any other mod that you "engineered" that improved your car. If your idea is selected for publication, you will receive recognition in the book (pictures, bio), so you can become a part of Corvette history. Chris and I hope to clear enough on the book to be able to keep working on our cars!!! It would also be interesting to help people make their Corvettes into the car that they want.

So, e-mail me with your ideas. The more documentation the better. Once selected for inclusion, I will come to your car and gather final documentation and pictures. Hope to hear from many of you!:w

Louie
69crazy
vettecrazy@mac.com

I think anybody doing C4 and C5 fuel injection swaps into the C3 have plenty of great info to share.

I know another area that there should be a ton of ideas and knowledge would be in the conversion of the pathetic sound systems in C3's to current technology. I know I've seen some pretty nifty mods here both with the stereos and with the speakers.

............. Nut

I might be able to contribute, I'v done some published writing in the past on automotive upgrades. I could start with the TPI deal that I am working on.

Furthering the idea

Hijinx, your submission would be most welcome and rewarded.

To expand on the concept, the idea does not have to be something you "invented" it could be an aftermarket product that you installed and were happy with. We are looking for good ideas, not just original ones. So, if you feel that ANY mod you have performed on your ride was worth the time, trouble, effort, and expense....make some brief notes and let us hear from you. This can also include tools and fixtures. Basically, anything that made (or contributed to the making) the Corvette you own (or wish you owned) a better car.

Thanks,
Louie

Well, I just did the L88 hood swap (small but cool addition I am not adjusting out), and I just did the VBP suspension thing (I didnt do it, but know what went into it), I plan to redo the carpet soon, have a new antenna to replace the old one, have a new headlight switch (dimmer not working too well), then there's the TPI setup comming in Tuesday, I plan to try to rebuild the transmission into someting hot soon, will be doing some body work and paint not too far off, rewired a kill switch in to the old alarm switch position, installed a remote selnoid (very useful addition if you have not done it), referbed the ram's horn exhaust manifolds and a set of ribbed valve covers, not to mention all the motor brackets, I'll be installing an MSD 6AL soon, did the Pentrox Ignitor II conversion on the distributor, and a few other small items. What would you like first?:D

Let 'er rip

No idea is lame or mundane if it improves your ride! What seems like a no brainer to some can be a really daunting project to others. Even carpet replacement could give you some anxiety if you really didn't turn a wrench before. The whole idea is to get Corvette owners involved hands on with their cars. I have seen too much damage done by shops that just were not motivated to do a proper job. I want, as much as anything, to give anyone the confidence to tackle the job....after all, that is what it is all about.....or is that the Hokey Pokey???

The VBP suspension rebuild is particularly interesting, why not start there.

Louie

what if the Hokey Pokey really is what it is ALL about??:dance

Cook the front control arm bushings out with a torch..

Make a little brace to go between the two ends of the half-shaft to keep it from flexing in when you press in u-joints..

Keep a stack of old Vette magazenes handy for insperation and emotional support...

Petronix to replace the points...

Runa new wire for full 12V to the Petronix unit, dont waste time trying to find and remove the resistor wire (pre HEI only obviously)..

I'll think of some more if this is the kinda stuff your looking for..

:)

I've made "few" modifications on my 79.

I have fabricated front bumber supports, rear bumber support, radiator frame, over flow tank, power steering reservoir, windshied washer tank, center console etc out of billet aluminum.

I have seem welded whole frame, Guldstrand says this makes stock frame 100% stiffer, I got full VB&P suspension kit with comsite springs rear and front, tubular A-arms, Steeroids Rack & Pinion kit all chassis and suspension bolts are from Catepilar.

I've done full small-to-big-block engine conversion. My block is real 454 LS6 and heads are Edelbrock oval aluminums. I've got edelbrock EFI, Polished Edelbrock reverse rotation aluminum water pump, late model power steering pump with seperate canister, both are polished, March Serpentine conversion kit, Polished Sanden 508 A/C compressor, BeCool Aluminum rad, Spal Dual electric fans, Chromed alternator, I got Stahl Side pipe headers etc.

Interior has been modified as well, Gauge pods have been made out of aluminum to accomodate Autometer Gauges, same them goes on around the interior, small aluminum bits here and there. I'm still looking for new seats and I'll propably go for recaro carbon fibre units. Steering wheel comes from Colorado Customs and it looks like American Racing's TT IIs only with three spokes.
The fuse box has been taken from under the dash and relocated to one of the storage boxes behind the seats. I have added heat insulator under the carpets. I'll propably end up buying one piece roof panel from Astrotops to save more weight.

I also made auto-to-manual-transmission swap. I got Richmond's ROAD RACE version of their normal 5-speed and it's equipped with Long shifter. I got Center force dual friction clutch, Lakewood's bullet proof bellhousing and clutch fork, Speed direct's clutch linkage etc.

Brakes will be Brembos with big rotors, Wheels are American Racing TT IIs in 20" diameter, 8" wide fronts and 10" rears. Tires are Pirellis, 255/35/20 front and 285/30/20 rears.

Plus I got around 1000+ pics documented of this project. Let me know if anything above cought your interest.

Jay

You might give 69 MyWay a run for the money

groovyjay, you have made some incredible changes in your car!!!! I would appreciate hearing about any that you wish to share. The frame modifications, VB&P suspension kit, and your addition of rack and pinion are of special interest to me. The aluminum guage pods are also interesting. So, send on whatever you can.

Louie

Do you have some sort of dead line? I'm currently livin in London, UK and I'm supposed to be back in Finland 30th of May and spend the summer working on the car. The car should be ready in two months. Like mentioned above, I've been documenting this project from day one so I got big pile of pics I can send you. Let me know.
Jay

Deadline????

Well, I guess that it is good to have some date in mind...otherwise time just slips away. I was looking toward early Fall, as I want to make a trip to the summer shows (Bloomington and Carlisle). Then I will spend the Fall/Winter working on documentation for the mods. My thinking is that I should be ready for publication in late Winter/early Spring. Then guys have a summer season to think about their cars and gather up the necessary parts and courage.

Louie

Louie, as I tend to be kinda ADD, you and Chris might want to set up some place for us to send this info. Either a central email address or a web site. I can tell you from experience that you have to keep it in front of the people doing the writing if you want to get anything back on a timely basis. Especially for non-paid writers. Just a thought from someone who has been there, done that. I used to be an editor/writer for an internet automotive column. Never got paid, but got lots of free parts, which was almost better than getting paid!

E-Mail Address

For any suggestions please use:
vettecrazy@mac.com

Or if better:
Louie Law
Box 1638
Bend, Or 97709

Non-paid? Tell me about it. Not only am I putting in the effort to document, create a set of plans, and refine the instructions, I am going to be putting up the $$$ to publish this puppy. So, until we become internationally recognized Vetteperts, the love of the hobby will have to do.

Thanks for everyone's interest...please get your ideas to me. Remember it does not have to be something you engineered yourself. Even an aftermarket mod that you installed properly and it works well would be considered. No idea is lame or mundane.

Louie

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom