Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

best 17" tire for ride

topless82vette

Corvette
1982 convertible (not factory) stock 350cfi auto
I'm curious what would be a nice tire that would give my vette a decent ride. Yes I know corvette=handling .... But I don't plan on racing this car it's just going to be a commuter car. Also while on the subject of making it ride nice could the springs be changed out to something a little less harsh?

JMHO, I like the Goodyear F1 GS D3s. They ride nice and are great in the rain. Just in case you get caught in a downpour!

They are pricey. But, I like them.

There are cheaper tires out there. I am sure others will chime in.

WHILE YOU ARE COMMUTING, PLEASE SAVE THE :w!

You will probably find as many opinions on tires/shocks as there are members here on CAC.

However what worked for me was Kumho Esta ASX tires and KYB shocks. I had Dunlop tires and the stock Bilstein shocks on my 88 with the Z52 suspension. Even the wife can tell a difference in the ride. Got both the tires and shocks from Tire Rack and couldn't be happier.

Ron
"Baldie88"

First, let me say it's sometimes a bit of a guessing game with questions like this because the post that begins the thread doesn't offer any info as to what model year Corvette is the issue. Confonted with that, I just look at the sig line info which in this case shows the car in quesiton is a C3. If I'm wrong and the car is some other "C-series" some of what's below will be inaccruate.

If a nice ride is the goal don't install 17-tires on a C3..
It's as simple at that.

The C3 suspension was designed in the early 1960s, long before tires with low aspect ratios for road vehicles were introduced. The lower the aspect ratio of the tire, the shorter the sidewall and the less the tire itself can contribute to ride. From a ride perspective, the crude suspension technology of the 1960s was based, in part on tires with 75 and 80 aspect ratios. Once you go to a 16-in tires with a 50 or 55 aspect ratio or a 17-in with a 50, 45 or 40 aspect ratio, you cause a significant increase in stiffness and harshness and a decrease in ride quality.

What I'd do for that 82 is:
1) Buy a 255/50-15 all season radial tire and put it on the stock wheels.
2) If the car has FE7 (Gymkahana or HD) suspension, I'd convert the car to base springs and stabilizer bars.
3) I'd use an inexpensive "standard" (rather than "heavy duty") shock absorber.
4) Do not install any polyurethane suspension parts.

Follow those rules and you'll have the best possible ride from your 82.

Sorry

It is for the 1990 corvette I recently bought. I think its just the base suspension car, not really sure.

I have a '91 with the FX3 suspension.

In the softest setting, the car rides very nicely in the highway, but nowhere near a luxury car. With cars this old though, a new set of shocks will go a long way into smoothing out the ride and handling. But it still won't ride anywhere near like a Caddy. The best thing you can do is install a set of All-Season performance tires. Try Tire Rack to pic your tire and choose Smooth, Quiet, ride as your primary requirement. You will get a host of recommended tires that will give you the smoothest, quietest rides given your size tires. Oh yeah. Don't go any lower than the 40-series 17" wheel size.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom