Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

"best aftermarket heads?"

sxyvet

Corvette
1991 ZO7 coupe, 6 speed,red on red w/most options!
hi there all,
hope all is well with you all!
i did a search on best aftermarket heads not much come up!
any way i am looking at replacing my L98 alloy heads with some aftermarket brand of alloy heads!
keeping in mind i am on a budget of around $1,100 u.s dollars!

some of the brands looking at are Afr,tpis ported standard cnc,edlebrock,trick flow,brodix,dart,jegs,!
what would you recomened best for performance,value for money?
my future mods are going to be tpis mini ram,383 stroker crank etc,etc!

or should i just get my stock heads worked and ported?

any specs that i should need to know as far as flow/port specs,cc/s?

or any other info i should need to know before i buy?

also who is cheaper/better to buy from lioke say summit racing or jegs?
thanks for your time and answers!
i appreciate it very much!
cheers
glen
sxyvet
Australia

The Corvette heads are pretty good. Send them to the machine shop for bigger valves, proper porting and polishing, add a set of RR and they will be good for over 400 HP and 6000+RPMs.:upthumbs

It ain’t gona happen for $1,100.:(

Its pointless to search for the best head without specific criteria and goals.

That said, the '113s you have now are good heads already. They should support 350hp out of the box, i.e., unported. If your goals are well above this, only then should you really think hard about better heads.

I like the Edelbrock heads for the cost. They have become very popular in the last couple of years and they don't cost a ton of money. I have a set on the 350 in my 64.

69MyWay ran the Edelbrock heads in his Mini Ram C4. He was running very strong numbers. If my memory serves me well, it was somewhere in the 400 range at the flywheel. This was about 4 years ago. I asked him specifically what heads he was running and he said Edelbrock.

For $1,100, I think they're a great deal for the money. I think the TPIS ported heads are about $1,400 or so?

for what its worth i just put on a set of tips afr heads
i cant wait to try the car out once winter is done
the other thing u have to watch out for when buying heads is the cc of the combustion chamber
the stock l98 heads have 58cc
if u get heads with bigger combustion chambers with out changing the pistons u will lower compression ratio and that will lower power out put.

hi there edmond and jeffyc,
thanks for the info guys!
i am thinking of going to buy tpis "air flow research heads"!
proberely 195 or 210 flow!
thanks for your time!
cheers
glen

what i got for flow #'s from tpis for them heads is

Intake 100-600

66 138 204 247 272 275

Exhaust 100-600
56 103 144 171 185 196

they have an intake port of 187cc
i for get what the exhaust is

You should check out the World Products heads. I just put a set of their cast iron S/R Torquer Heads on the 383 stroker that went into my 91 Chevy Silverado Pickup. I was looking more for torque over HP, but the engine/head combo bumps it to about 310 hp and 420 ft. lbs. of torque. They flow 170cc. The S/R stands for stock replacement so they're just like the stock heads only better engineered for flow. Plus they're 50 state emmissions legal which I need living in CA. World Products has some really nice heads for all applications. www.worldproducts.com

remember when u want to change heads on an l98 you gota get a smaller combustion chanmber
cause the stock l98 heads have 58cc
the tpis afr heads have 54 cc
u dont want to lower the compression ratio
u want to try to keep it the same

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom