Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Best Aftermarket Navigation/CD/Ipod Dock/Radio to add to 90 Corvette Coupe

tbond669

Just wondering what you guys recommended as far as a aftermarket Navigation/CD/Ipod Dock/Radio to change out in my new 90 coupe...looking for something very solid yet somewhat easy on the pocket book...lol Also there is a static like sound coming out of my right front speaker when I adjust the volume up...like there is a short in it or something. It is a Bose system. Again, I am totally new to the vette world but I am extremely pumped about this car. thx again

I've had pretty good luck with Pioneer and rely quite heavily on Crutchfield's site for fitment and reviews. their prices are higher but customer service has been superb. From them, the best deals are in close-out or scratch/dent.

Another upside is the install kit that is usually included for no charge.

Most of the major brands will perform well, but the real cheap ones will probably have you shopping again, soon.

Be advised, the Bose inputs are at a different level, from all others with amplifiers inside each speaker, so some sort of intermediate amp will probably be needed. Some of us also changed out the speakers and wires, especially if we went with a total system change.

The static my be a failing component in that speakers electronics, a loose solder connection or other poor connection. If it is only at high volume, I'd suspect a failing cone or surround, due to age and use. I am not certain on your system, but if you can access the speaker cone by removing the grille, inspect the cone and surround for rips or bad deterioration, then push gently with equally spaced fingertips, to check for voice coil binding when the cone moves. I'd suspect the surround/support is failing more than the voice coil.
They can be rebuilt and/or reconed by some shops recommended on this forum. :w

There are quite a few 2.0 DIN head units to choose from with the features you are looking for. Crutchfield is always helpful and they usually carry the better brands, but there are alternatives too. The "static" you are hearing is probably from the head unit volume control, but without connecting another head unit to the system, you cannot tell.

This is one of those circumstances (especially if you cannot do any of the work yourself) where yanking out the whole system is cheaper than troubleshooting the issue to find out exactly what is not working properly. The Bose amps are equalized for each model vehicle, taking out the Bose amps and speakers will allow you to put in aftermarket speakers with a more "normal" impedance, but you will loose the equalization. Most Bose speakers are 1-Ohm, instead of 4-Ohm.

Putting in an aftermarket head unit and new speakers will address the factory equipment and no more headaches, but you'll loose a lot of equalization that simple Bass and Treble controls will have a hard time restoring. Now of course this is all subjective and certainly depends on each individual listener.

In my '92, which came with a Bose CD / Tape deck, I removed this unit and installed a 2.0 Din navigation unit. I wanted to keep the Bose amps and speakers so I made an adapter for the head unit RCA line outputs that would allow me to drive the Bose amps. The rear speakers are only 6.5" speakers in ported enclosures. These speakers provide rear-fill and get cut-off somewhere in the upper midrange region.

The front speakers are also in tuned enclosures and do not sound too bad, but the tweeter placement is terrible from the factory. when your leg is fully extended, it conveniently blocks the tweeter, thus eliminating any high frequency response. I addressed this issue by disconnecting the OE tweeter in the front enclosure and placed small 19mm dome tweeters in the driver and passenger A/C vents.

The Bose system actually sounds fairly good (for what it is), but again, sound is a very subjective matter. This was actually an experiment to see how good the Bose system could sound and I also did not want to "gut" the OE audio system. Most people who hear it think I took all the OE equipment out.

Sure, the Bose amps are problematic (if they are older), but mine were all replaced prior to me buying the car, so they should last awhile and not have any of the "common" problems. The speakers usually last longer unless they get wet or are abused (easily done).

Bose systems for the C4 varied by year so your system may not yield the same results as mine, but if you like to tinker and are handy, the Bose system (speakers and amps) might give you the sound you are looking for.

CG

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom