Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Best brakes?

I'm running the Performance Friction pads. Bought them at Autozone for about $125 for all 4 corners. I put them on almost a year ago and I'm quite happy with them. They do require a little warmup to get them to really grab hard. They dust up my buzzsaws on the front enough where you could wash them every week. Not hard to get off or anything. I just expect dusting with high performance pads so I don't get too hung up on that. I'd rather be able to stop quickly without brake fade and they do that job well.
Graham

LT1Vettepilot wrote:
> Since I didn't know what kind of brake fluid the previous owner had used (probably just DOT 3) and I wanted to >prevent the brake fluid from boiling...i.e. I wanted the fluid to match the new brakes performance capabilities,
>I flushed the entire brake system out and serviced it with DOT 5 fluid...good for 500 degrees

Sorry to inform you but Vette brake system is not compatible with DOT 5. Another thing: DOT 5 is not compatible with DOT3 or DOT 4. Even if you did a flush you did not get all of the old stuff out and together with the new fluid they will gum up your system. Well, this doesn't matter as the DOT 5 will cause other problems too even without mixing (I think the rubber seals and parts in your system are the ones that go with DOT5).

There is several warnings about this in factory service manual: "DOT 5 brake fluid shoud never be used". I think this is also in the user manual. DOT 3 is the only one approved for C4 Vette. You can find a good DOT 3 fluid that will have high enough boiling point for any use.

However, your first priority is to get the DOT5 out. Can't really give good advice on this. Service manual talks about disassembling all hydraulic parts, washing them with alcohol and replacing all rubber parts. I hope you don't have to go that far.

Good luck,

Toni

ToniH is right about DOT5!! Get that stuff out of your system as quick as you can. DOT5 will cause cavitation of the fluid due to rapid activation of the valves in the system and loss of braking, that's why the service manuals specifically state to not use it.

If you have activated the ABS system with hard braking since you installed it, you may have to use a TECHII to flush the ABS pump.

MOTUL 600 and CASTROL SRF are excellent fluids to use for track use; they have wet boiling points around 585-590 degrees. A good street/autocross (or even track day) fluid is ATE Super Blue, or the even the Ford Motorcraft Heavy Duty DOT3 fluids. They have a wet boiling point of around 540 degrees.

After seeing these suggestions I read through my owner's manual and found nothing specifically stating not to use DOT5, the only reference I found was under servicing where of course they give a GM part number for DOT3. I've had no problems with the brakes at all. However, I'll take the advice here and find a DOT3 fluid that meets or exceeds what I'm looking for and change fluids again.

Isn't DOT5 silicone? If nothing else, the GM service manual says to not use silicone because it will lead to seal damage.

FWIW, I'm using either the ATE SuperBlue or the Ford heavy-duty (can't remember which the mechanic put in when he overhauled the brakes). Either are more than adequate for the street and occasional track use.

[RICHR]

I installed the EBC Green pads on the front of my car(the backs are on back order) and the change was instantly noticable. My wife was even surprised at the difference. I haven't had a chance to try them under hard conditions but the couple of times I have pushed the car I didn't notice any significant fade. During panic braking on the freeway recently(idiots are everywhere)the brakes really impressed me with the stopping power.The EBC's advertise less dust and now that I've put a few miles on the car there is significantly less dust. Makes it nice when washing the car. When I finally get the rears I'm going to upgrade the rotors and am hoping that hard braking will pull my eyeballs out of their sockets:L

What about DOT4 is it ok to use, is it compatible with DOT3 ?

Dot 4 is different than Dot 3. If I were you, I would try to find a product that exceeds Dot 3 and Dot 4 specs. They are easy to find, you get a better product, and you don't have to worry.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom