Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Best location for trans cooler

D95

Corvette
1995 black convertible
My 95 trans can run up to 225 dg in traffic and after a long run on highway 215 dg. I would like to add a cooler in front of my Dewitts rad but I am also concerned that it will cut down some of the the airflow to the rad (which runs around 200 dg) Did anyone actually notice if the water temps went up when installed in front of rad? Also how many dgs cooler did the trans run after the install. The 95 and 96 have a built in trans temp gauge
Thanks

Lots of different theories about adding the cooler in series or stand alone, I won't get into that argument. I don't claim this to be the best solution either but it is one option and the way I chose after going to a high stall converter.
I found a cooler in the Jegs catalog that seemed to be about the right dimensions for the location I thought looked the best, just forward of the power steering cooler on my 93 LT1. The cooler I picked was a heat sink style, Jegs own brand, part number 555-60350 ($65)
It is almost a “bolt in” using the same mounting bolts as the existing PS cooler. I did elongate the two upper holes in the trans cooler bracket using a rotary file in a die grinder and trimmed off one corner to clear the right lower bolt on the PS cooler , I drilled one more hole in the left side trans cooler bracket so it is attached with two of the existing PS cooler bolts and one additional bolt supplied with the Jegs cooler.
The two 3/8” fittings end up perfectly located near the return line from the radiator. (the return line is the one at the bottom of the radiator, and connects to the top fitting on the transmission). I cut the return line and plumbed the cooler in with 11/32” high temperature transmission hose attached with fuel injection style hose clamps. A 4 foot length of such hose is available from Jegs, part number 259-13003 ($9) the installation probably uses half of that.
My 93 does not have a temp gauge standard and I have not added one so efficiency has not been documented, previous temps would not tell the story anyway since the torque converter was installed at the same time. I expect this set up diminishes air flow to the PS cooler, but I do not Autocross or road race so I felt that was a secondary concern.

DSC_0674Large.jpg

DSC_0675Large.jpg

DSC_0677Large.jpg

DSC_0679Large.jpg

Thanks for your info-Looks really nice. Too bad you do not have a gauge just to see what the temps are.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom