Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

best oil for our 81's

hdkeno

Corvette
2005 Victory Red coupe
I know many older c3 owners use 15/40 or straight 30weight oil in there vettes.

But what is the concensus as far as our "newer" 81's is concerned.

My owners manual reccomends 10-30 and that is what i have used so far.

Any opinions or recomendations on this?

As always,thanks in advance. Later, Ken

And that's exactly what you should keep using!

I agree. They recommended it for a reason. I use Castrol Syntex 10-30 with a fram filter.

3 months or 3,000 miles dont really work for me since I dont drive 3,000 miles a year on it. I change my oil depending on usage like if I autocross 2 times I change it. Might only have 250 miles on it but with the high heat of racing I want to make sure its fresh. Then I change it right before winter and again when im getting it ready for winter. Doesnt have any miles on it but it does have the wear from initial start up once a week during the winter.

I think I change my oil often..maybe too often but I would rather spend the money on oil then on replacing main bearings!

Castrol GTX 10-40 for me!!!!!!!!

Bill,do you like the 10/40 over the 10/30 for any specific reason?

I know that some vette owners use the 10/40 also. Ken

Castrol 10/30 if i ever get back from a RECOMMENDED mechanic that's had it so long i forgot i own a Corvette !!!:mad

the only reason I choose 10w-40 is its a little thicker,and won't go thru the seals as fast,as the rear main leaks...just the way I think....

Mobil 1 Synthetic 10-40. Switched at 80K miles. Now at 248K+ and I still haven't had to rebuild the engine or valve seals. Change every 3-4K miles regardless.

.....nut

I second Nut's recommendation.

I have used Mobil 1 since it had 25k miles. At 154K, I removed the engine and overhauled it, and you should have seen how clean it was.

Also, I only had the need to bore-over to 0.020"!!!!!!

I also like Mobil 1. I use synthetic oil in my 2002 Harley Fatboy,as well as wifes Toyota,and my Silverado 2500.

But I thought that i read somewhere in the past either on this forum or elsewhere, that we shouldnt use Mobil 1 or other sythetics with our 81's?

Something about the the older engines not getting full lubrication on the lower end, and the old standby leaking issues.

I have only 42k on my engine,and am willing to give it a try, after more research,and opionions.

By the way gerry, do you use the 10-30 or 10-40 in yours?

Later, Ken:beer

Gee,I didn't realize Mobil 1 was that good ....
how often do you guys change the oil???

...By the way gerry, do you use the 10-30 or 10-40 in yours?

Ken,

I have used both. Here in the high desert, it gets pretty hot in the summer. So I use the 10- 40 during that time. The thinner one in the colder months. I probably averaged 4,500 miles in between oil changes; however, I usually spun that mileage in the Vette in about 6 months during the most active months.

There is no denying that some of the reduced wear I achieved in the L81 engine comes from averaging a little over 6K miles per year (I bought it with 14k and I spun a total of 155k miles = 139k miles in 22 years = 6.4k miles/year); however, I drove the Vette pretty hard during those times. For 2 and 1/2 years alone, I commuted between Oakland, CA and San Francisco State University 3 nights per week. Later on, I purchased a home in Tracy, CA and I had my usual commute between Tracy and NAS Alameda for approximately 2 years (some of that time my wife drove it the same distance).

So I am pretty please with the results. :upthumbs

p.s. On the other hand, I have had the leak problem when switching in my old 1989 Jeep Cherokee (don't own anymore). However, after re-sealing the oil pan area, the leaks no longer continued. Just f.y.i.

I have been running Royal Purple 5-30 in mine. No leaks and a bit more power with the thinner synthetic oil.

THINK MOBIL ONE.....

IN A LATE RESPONSE TO YOUR QUESTION......EARLY ON CHEVY WAS A BIG PROPONENT OF MOBIL ONE[ESPECIALLY FOR ITS 1981 CORVETTE], I USE IT AND FULLY AGREE. HAVING SAID THAT,I ALSO RECOMMEND " ROYAL PURPLE' OIL,ANOTHER REPUTABLE OIL. KEEP IN MIND, BOTH ARE A ONCE A YEAR OIL CHANGE, I ALSO BELIEVE MOBIL ONE IS WARRANTED FOR LONGER EXPIRATION BETWEEN CHANGES, MYSELF I GO ONCE A YEAR, ON MY OTHER CARS I GO THE SAME, AND FINE I USE LESS THAN HALF A QUART PER YEAR ,ON EACH CAR.
I'M NOT KNOCKING ANY OTHER RECOMMENDATIONS, JUST GIVING YOU MY POINT OF VIEW.......I ALSO PUSH K&N AIR FILTERS AND ALSO AM A STRONG ADVOCATE OF BOSCH PLATINUM+4'S, HOWEVER BOSCH ONLY MAKES THE BASE PLATINUM PLUG FOR 1981 CORVETTES...
THANKS, ANDY

Thanks Andy,
I wasnt aware that GM was pushing Mobil 1 back in 81,I know that they did for the c4's.
Im going to change my oil within the next week or two,and Im going with the Mobil 1 10-40,and will probably go to the lighter 10-30 when I change it it Late Fall,before putting the car away (or limited use depending on the weather) for the season.

I also like the K&N filters and use them on my 81,as well as my Harley.

Later, Ken

Your welcome Ken, also apologize for the use of all capital letters ,was unaware of format,wasn't yelling...........and Rare81 was kind enough to bring that to my attention, with my typing skills,I should be using Rare81 as my username. Anyway I'm the new guy so go ahead and abuse me....roasting , now there I draw the line.

Welcome to the CAC Andy,and especially the L81 and C3 forums.

Great and knowledgeable folks here,and they are always willing to offer advice,help and suggestions.

I notice that you live in PA.

Are you planning to go to Carlisle,this August for the Corvettes at Carlisle event?

I am going (2nd year) It is a great time,if so perhaps we can look you up.

Your welcome Ken, also apologize for the use of all capital letters ,was unaware of format,wasn't yelling...........and Rare81 was kind enough to bring that to my attention, with my typing skills,I should be using Rare81 as my username. Anyway I'm the new guy so go ahead and abuse me....roasting , now there I draw the line.

:w Andy,

I don't think you'll find anyone, well to many anyway ;LOL , here in the L81VetteRegistry being Mean or Nasty to each other. We're all a pretty good bunch of Guys & Gals ;) that enjoy our 81's and each others company...

As for being the New Guy... I learn as much from a New Members and New Owners as I do from the Old Seasoned grizzly ones ;) We all share the same passion and most here share the same fasination for the 1981 :lou

Great having ya here and hearing what ya have to say :)

Bud

IN A LATE RESPONSE TO YOUR QUESTION......EARLY ON CHEVY WAS A BIG PROPONENT OF ....ANDY

ouch! ouch! My ears!

Some of us make an appearance onto the world screaming-off the top of our lungs.

Just poking fun, Andy. Welcome aboard. :upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom