Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Best penatrating oil

tcxd40

Corvette
(2) Black '93s, purple '81, '69 vintage racer
Looking for a new penatrating oil?

I have what is left of some industrial stuff that you cannot buy:confused, need to get a replacement for it any suggetions?

I hear alot about Blaster never used it though.

Thanks
tcxd40

Looking for a new penatrating oil?

I have what is left of some industrial stuff that you cannot buy:confused, need to get a replacement for it any suggetions?

I hear alot about Blaster never used it though.

Thanks
tcxd40

I've tried seveal over the years..."Liquid Wrench", "WD40 and so forth but about 15 years ago I started using a product I obtained from a worker for Southern California Edison, the power utiliy where I live. Since then up until a couple of years ago, that's what I used. It's called "Aerokroil" and is available at some industrial hardware stores.

There a sister product to that called "Sili kroil" which is, I believe, the Aerokroil formula with a silicone component added. I switched to Silikroil on suggestion of a product support operative at the Eastwood Company.

Either of them are the best penetranst I've ever used/tested.

At one time the Eastwood Company carried "Sili kroil". See Eastwood Company: Auto Tools, Body Repair, Classic Car Restoration, House of Kolor Paint, Powder Coating

In the 30 plus years I worked in the same shop the best I have ever used is freeze off made by CRC. I've also used this on cars but for an industrial nut buster it can't be beat. It actually freezes the area causing it to move molecularly letting the penetrant actually get inside. It's not cheap and you may use half a can for the freeze action but it WORKS! Hey, equipment downtime where I work is over $400 an hour...what's $13 or so for a can that saves time. I don't even bother with other penetrant anymore, I've tried quite a few. My opinion. Cheers!

I've tried seveal over the years..."Liquid Wrench", "WD40 and so forth but about 15 years ago I started using a product I obtained from a worker for Southern California Edison, the power utiliy where I live. Since then up until a couple of years ago, that's what I used. It's called "Aerokroil" and is available at some industrial hardware stores.

There a sister product to that called "Sili kroil" which is, I believe, the Aerokroil formula with a silicone component added. I switched to Silikroil on suggestion of a product support operative at the Eastwood Company.

Either of them are the best penetranst I've ever used/tested.

At one time the Eastwood Company carried "Sili kroil". See Eastwood Company: Auto Tools, Body Repair, Classic Car Restoration, House of Kolor Paint, Powder Coating

Wow I guess we agree on some "Witches Potions",Hib!!:chuckle:chuckle:chuckle

My Dad worked for Missouri Power and Light for over 30 years,and also Ran a Machine Shop with my Grandfather on his days off and after he retired!!

I've never found anything better than any of the Kano Products,PB Blaster's close,but No Cigar!!:thumb
p9113.jpg

Thanks for the Link!! Now I know where to get it,now that Dads gone!!:thumb

:D

My two favorites are PB Blaster and CRC Freeze. If you can soak the threads over night then PD Blaster is a great product. If you are short on time then CRC Freeze is a great alternative.

Wow,

Some of those products mentioned I've never heard of.

I wish I knew the name of the stuff I'm using, it too is 30 plus years old. From my uncle's body shop, which my other uncle gave him from one of the mills here in Pittsburgh. I'll star shopping this weekend for those mentioned in this thread. Anymore out there let us know..

Thanks Everyone
tcxd40

Wow,

Some of those products mentioned I've never heard of.

I wish I knew the name of the stuff I'm using, it too is 30 plus years old. From my uncle's body shop, which my other uncle gave him from one of the mills here in Pittsburgh. I'll star shopping this weekend for those mentioned in this thread. Anymore out there let us know..

Thanks Everyone
tcxd40

probabky wanna keep that 30yr old stuff from making contact with the skin and mucous membranes!

Kroil

Wow I guess we agree on some "Witches Potions",Hib!!:chuckle:chuckle:chuckle

My Dad worked for Missouri Power and Light for over 30 years,and also Ran a Machine Shop with my Grandfather on his days off and after he retired!!

I've never found anything better than any of the Kano Products,PB Blaster's close,but No Cigar!!:thumb
p9113.jpg

Thanks for the Link!! Now I know where to get it,now that Dads gone!!:thumb

:D
Having worked in a Nuclear Plant for over 15 years the most used was Kroil...workers wouldn"t take WD-40 or anything else

WD40....is penatrating oil? ;LOL;LOL;LOL:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:boogie:boogie:boogie

Glenn
:w

quote=hotshotzny;946916]probabky wanna keep that 30yr old stuff from making contact with the skin and mucous membranes![/quote]

Well, I know all about that as of now. The stuff I was using this past Saturday while soaking an exhaust stud dripped directly into my left eye.

Needless to say I was not wearing any eye protection. As of today 2 emergency hospital visits, first hospital could not do much for the injury. Three eye doctor visits and the eye still has extreme burns on the lens, and lots of pain. The eye will heal on it's own with some help, it will just take time. Bottom line here is no matter how small the job may seem always, always wear eye protection!!

WD-40

WD40....is penatrating oil? ;LOL;LOL;LOL:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:boogie:boogie:boogie

Glenn
:w
If YOU READ the front of the WD-40 container you will see that it says it is good for "loosens rusted parts, frees sticky mechanisms, and drives out moisture"....so even though I am not a chemist and apparently you are...that qualifies as a penetrating type liquid to me

I just have NEVER had it work for me as a penatrating oil.
Works for cleaning etc. etc. but penatrating , not for any rusty parts I have ever used it on.

Glenn

In the 30 plus years I worked in the same shop the best I have ever used is freeze off made by CRC..... My opinion. Cheers!

Yep, used CRC for years at the Depot. Good stuff! :thumb

But one time in the shop I am in now, we could not bust loose a gas generator nut by hand (it was left hand thread, and a mechanic had applied more torque in the tightening direction, thinking that he was going in the loosening direction). One of the guys went to a machine shop buddy of his, and came back with this one fluid that was very thin, and on the can it claimed to have had a negative charge to it. But it was thinner than tool dye. We squirted some on the nut threads, and we tied the engine to a building column while applying a constant force (applied by cargo straps) though a torque multiplier, a spanner wrench, and finally to the nut. Twenty hours later, we heard a big bang in the shop, and when we checked on the set-up (the truth is that we were all afraid to be checking on it, for fear of it letting go while checking on it...:L;LOL:rotfl) the cargo straps were loose. Mission accomplished!

But for the life of me, I can't remember what was called....:confused;help;shrug

I've been using pb blaster on my resto of my 1974 MGB and it works very well for general, easy to get pentrating oil. If you can let it soak for a while it works even better.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom