Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Best Plugs for the L-98

R

Rufus1050

I know that there are many brands on the market...based upon owners who tune their cars for daily drilving or weekend outings, what's the best brand of plug on the market? Consider weather conditions in the deep south...

ACDelco's either get the cheapies which are fine. Or get the Rapidfires which are very good plugs.

Vettefan87 said:
ACDelco's either get the cheapies which are fine. Or get the Rapidfires which are very good plugs.

What he said.............I did mine last weekend. Delco is the way to go.

Len:w

Thats another vote for AC Delco

bosch plat 2's in my 85,hyper tech coil,cap,rotor kit & autolite 8.5mm wires

For daily driving or weekend outings, stick with the Delco's, not the Rapid Fires. I don't see the need to spend the extra money on the Rapid Fires unless you're going to run it hard.

Vettefan87 said:
Aren't vette's made to be run hard...:confused :D

I should've said Mad Mic type of hard.:L

Edmond said:
I should've said Mad Mic type of hard.:L

:L Edmond you Funny Guy! ;LOL

AC Delco .99 cent plugs work great! gap'em up alittle. .045 works great. stock specs are .035 but you want a wider gap for better burn.

i'm not a big fan of the Bosch Plat +1 +2 or +4's especially +4's. once you have more than 1 electrode coming down it starts blocking fuel to burn correctly. your basically shielding the spark from the fuel. this ends up fouling the plug out and making the car run rich. mine were toast after 6k in miles and i lost 4 mph in the 1/4 because of it! so after that experience AC Delco Rapid Fires or just plain ole AC Delco's work for me. then again i change them out every 6 months or so depending on how they look.

The Junk has go with AC Delco!!

Keep your GM car all GM!! :upthumbs gmjunkie!!

gmjunkie said:
Keep your GM car all GM!! :upthumbs gmjunkie!!

Especially with electrical components. I find that Delco electrical products are built very well.

Mad-Mic said:
:L Edmond you Funny Guy! ;LOL

AC Delco .99 cent plugs work great! gap'em up alittle. .045 works great. stock specs are .035 but you want a wider gap for better burn.

How does the wider gap effect idle and coming off idle? For yrs chevy ran .o45 gap , I have wondered why they run .035 on the vettes.

Glenn
:w

Best Plugs

I appreciate all the responses from you guys...there's a set of rapid fires in at present and was thinking about changing them. The problem is I'm not certain that I'm having problems with the plugs, it may be the injectors or the pressure regulator. Changed the fuel pump last week and I'm only seeing about 32 lbs of pressure at idle. I'm still doing some trouble shooting to try and pin point the problem. Most of the parts are 20 yrs old so it may not be a bad idea to replace the regulator and the orings on the injectors.
At any rate, thanks again to all of you who responded to the plug query...
Rufus

Rufus1050 said:
I appreciate all the responses from you guys...there's a set of rapid fires in at present and was thinking about changing them. The problem is I'm not certain that I'm having problems with the plugs, it may be the injectors or the pressure regulator. Changed the fuel pump last week and I'm only seeing about 32 lbs of pressure at idle. I'm still doing some trouble shooting to try and pin point the problem. Most of the parts are 20 yrs old so it may not be a bad idea to replace the regulator and the orings on the injectors.
At any rate, thanks again to all of you who responded to the plug query...
Rufus

change your fuel filter for starters.

G Winter said:
How does the wider gap effect idle and coming off idle? For yrs chevy ran .o45 gap , I have wondered why they run .035 on the vettes.

Glenn
:w

i'm sure it had something to do with longevity. shorter gap richer burn. wider gap leaner burn. our cars came very rich from the factory. raw unburnt fuel is burned by the cat. rich cars last longer than lean cars. keeps cylinder temps down along with lubrication of the cylinder wall = longevity.

btw i've gapped upto .050 in my vette before. right now i run a .047 gap which are cut back and indexed. seems to work really well with my Accel Supercoil also.

if you notice in nitrous cars they usually run a gap in the .030-.035 range and 2 degree cooler plugs. this helps keep the cylinder temps down and run it a bit rich to be on the safe side so a wider gapped hotter plug would burn a hole in the piston under a nitrous run.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom