Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

best suspension setup

in other words, I'd shred them in a couple of weeks (german autobahn) damn LOL

Hey TT

Done some more homework re: tires.
I knew Id seen them somewhere!!!!

Found 285/45/16 Dunlop S9000 at the link below.
Also they have 335/55/16 S8000.

Prices didnt seem to bad......relative.......to gold!!!!

See how you go.

http://www.dunloptire.com/dunlop/size.jsp

:beer

ack, 400$ for a tire LOL...I may have to get those, much better than the BFG & cooper cobra junk. I think I will get these..thanks. :D

Somehow the search is incorrect, look at the tire size that pops up, it's not a 16" one

Hey TT

Tried to email the actual page, but this site keeps crashing.
Below link to actual size selector page, Enter tread width = 285, Aspect ratio = 45 then Rim Diameter, has listing for 16, 17 and 18" on drop down, hope this works as its definately there in a 16"

http://www.dunloptire.com/dunlop/size.jsp

Good Luck
:beer Grant

PS: Have since tried the link as above to confirm from this reply, and it is working fine, maybe someone else could try to see if access is limited by region???

YEa I got that but then you get 1 result, excellent you'd think but now click on the little tire pic, you'll get more info and somehow then the listing says 285 45 r18, this is confusing. Also I went by the local tire shop and the guy couldn't find any tires in that size either

Hey TT

See your point.................... thats weird!!!!!!
Note the tire shown not only is an 18" but is also 35 profile???

"Me tinks me smelz a techno f**k up"

Will keep looking for you!

Christer said:
Hey! What tires do you consider descent? I have been looking for high performance tires in 15" size for a long time now. What i have found so far is nothing... Maybe they are harder yo find over here (Sweden).

Decent 15"? H-speed rating with A-Temperature. Consider that a BARE MINIMUM.

Ideal? V-speed rating with A-Temperature. At least for a good all around performance tire that can be enjoyed year round (well maybe not Swedish winters) and last 30k + miles.

Definately avoid: S or T speed rating (is there a difference?) and B-temperature rating.

In the US the list of decent tires for 15" C3 wheels is sadly very short - most are crap tires here too. Check out these in 225/70R15:
Goodyear Eagle RS-A
Firestone PV41
General XP-2000 V4
Cooper Cobra GTH-A / GTH-S (discontinued?)
Sumitomo HTR 200
Michelin Pilot XGT H4

GYs and Michelins might be available there? GY may also offer another tire uniquely in Europe (not in US) as I recall that is H-rated (GTH?). Check their European site not their US website. While the Pilot is not V rated - its' got a good reputation.

In 255/60R15 there is a Pirelli Scorpion (SUV tire -should work great on a C3).

That's it! :(

Christer said:
If i look in to 16" or bigger there are tons of them. I would like to keep the 8" rallyes that came with the car when new. I am doing some mods to the fame and suspension this winter, welding-reinforcement-polybushings. But it feels stupid to do a race-chassis mod, and then kill it with s**t-tires. So, can you give me some names on descent 15" tires?

See above for 15" tires. If you are considering 16" wheels, I recommend skipping and going on to 17" wheels. The 16" tire selection while better than 15, is nothing compared to 17". Right now I would either consider sticking with 15s or stepping up to 17s but not mess with 16s at all.

Hope that helps.

Hey pgtr
There are quite a good selection of 15" tires, based on the fact that some of the older super cars eg. Contach, Pantera etc ran 285 50 15 to the front & 315 (or 325) 35 15 to the rear. They are pricy, but still avalible in replacement type tread patterns if you want it that wide. Also Hankook, Kumho, Bridgestone, Yokohama Advan, Pirelli and Michilen all do good 15" tires (read modern) as an alternative to the ice age BFG offerings, usually up to 265 50 15.

We were trying to find some 16" tires for Twin Turbo, 295 45 16, or something similar as he already has the wheels. (See TT's pictures in Modication thread -active now)

I agree 17"'s are the way to go if you are changing the wheels because of the large choice of sizes, also due to the numbers using them (read high production numbers) tire purchase cost is a lot better value on the 17". However if you already have the wheels (as above) then its a bit more of a challenge!!

I've got a couple of choices, BFG 295/50/16s or Cooper cobras in the same size, both are junk tires IMO. I could also set the wheels back to 10" and run a 275/60/16 Pirelli Scorpion but they're so tall..its' ugly in the front (29" tall) or just say ff it and run a 255/50/16 Goodyear F1 or something like that, they're spec'ed for 9" rims but they will fit a 10" one..the germans do it all the time to comply to their TUV rules (they can't have the thread pattern stick outside of the car so they throw tires on wheels that are too wide, the wheel and sidewalls stick out..thread remains under the fender)

Hey TT
I agree BFG TA's are a crap tire if your looking for real performance (AIMO). If its of any use, I have read (I think the book was just called "How to make your car handle") that 83/100% is the cutoff for rim/tread size.
Anything lower than 83% is considered over tired.

There was never any mention of 100/100% being a bad thing, meaning if your looking @ tread of 255mm/25.4mm(1") = 10.039" to 10" rim or 99.61%. Definately would'nt get any tire wall flex!!!!

FEI: Therefore the standard 255/60/15 BFG option on my 8" vette rims @ 79.6% is overtired from the factory (based on this rule), and they do roll around a bit from the brief drives Ive had @ recomended pressure, so now I just pumped them up harder (40psi) until they wear out in the middle, and I can justify to the boss (the other half) buying decent new tires. The bonus is they handle a lot better in the mean time...or so it seems. Mind you the tread is so hard, it may take awhile ;LOL.

Good Luck with what ever you decide!

Yes, I agree, balloon tires are bad for handling but a too small tire isn't a problem until it's too small by so much that the steel belt ring actually moves from the rim edge and lets air out. I actually have 11" front rims now, no way a 255 will fit that...but 10", I think it can be done. There sure is a lot more to choose from with those " tiny" tires :) :D

kiwi vet said:
Hey pgtr
There are quite a good selection of 15" tires, based on the fact that some of the older super cars eg. Contach, Pantera etc ran 285 50 15 ...

Yeah I suppose so - I was just looking at 15" tires for OE rims, suspension etc. E.g. F70 equiv (215/70) or 225/70 or 255/60. Actually there are a couple of very good 215/70s avail but I think that's just a bit smallish.

kiwi vet said:
I agree BFG TA's are a crap tire if your looking for real performance (AIMO).

Understatement! :beer - there's TONS of 15" tires of this ilk - the non-performance tires dressed up w/ sporty sidewalls that pretty much pervade the replacement tire options for C3s. :(

kiwi vet said:
If its of any use, I have read (I think the book was just called "How to make your car handle") that 83/100% is the cutoff for rim/tread size. Anything lower than 83% is considered over tired.

Interesting - I have to read that book someday! If we are strictly talking about OE sizes on C3s - I think 225/70R15 is THE size to go with (and there are about 4 or 5 decent tires in this size) vs 215/70 (F70) or the optional size (1977+) 255/60.

Enjoyed your posts

Hey TT

I suppose it depends on what you want to do with the car.
"Drifting" is very very big here, and those boys generally run 100/100% or more to the rear to completely eliminate tire wall flex. Apparently it makes it more predictable in the drift, and for changing drift from left to right. Mind you the wear rate is measured in minutes with those guys ;LOL.

11" rims = 279.4mm, 10" = 254mm so I think your right reduce to 10" if you can, to increase the choice, based on the tires we have been finding in the 255 range.

Still always plan B, with those 275/45/16 DOT racing tires with tread applied!
PS: For what it's worth - If you do go that way (plan B), from experiance I can tell you, try to copy an existing pattern of a high performance tire. We initally ran very little in the tread (3 rotational grooves and V cuts @ about 100mm centres), great in the dry, not so good in the wet. Then we added a lot more V cuts @ approx 30mm centres for wet and 5 rotational grooves, but tire temp gauge recorded very high temps on the dry curcuit (tread squirm). We found copying existing patterns S01 & S03 eg, was the best of both worlds (3 R grooves and V's @ 50mm crs). Just my $0.02 worth!

Hey pgtr

I have done some homework for my replacement tire set, (see post below about when) and if I keep the std 8" alloys (which i would prefer to change - wife depending), will go for 235/60/15 @ 86% rim/tire ratio, and about 1/2 " reduction in total diameter. With the 2.78 rear gears & a 700R4, raising the gearing slightly is not an issue!

I would think that going to 70 profile would be a backward step for handling, but again if its just road driven or for cruising, your probably right. And the ride would be more comfortable for sure!

PS: I will try to dig that book out from under the stairs (nightmare cupboard) and give you the author etc, it really is a great read if you like techno reads.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom