Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Best Wax to use?

Larry's Yellow Rdstr

Corvette
05 black cpe-Porsche GT3
I have used many type of waxes over the years and have came to believe Liquid Glass is right at the top for ease on/off and final results. Meguairs (sp) has just come out with a new product. Has anyone found a wax with which they are totally satisfied-especially on a black car.

Thanks to all.

LArry

I have to agree with you on the liquid Glass. I have used the stuff for 20 years and have found nothing better. Not as impressed with the new formula though.

I prefer Zaino. Meguiars and Zymol come in second.

Meguiars has some very fine polishing compounds in it and it is possible to wear through the paint after many years of use. I've seen it happen on a Z28. Both Meguiars and Zymol can only be built up so much (only so many layers). Then you have to strip the wax off and "start over". With Zaino, you don't have to strip layers off; you can build as many layers on the car as you want. In fact, after it has cured on the car, the only way to strip it off is with alcohol.

As far as shine goes, Zaino shines just as good (or better) than Meguiars. I've used it on our 96 truck (after several years of using other waxes) and it brightened up the shine so much (more than any other wax) that it looked like it just came from the assembly line.

I've heard good things about Meguiars new stuff, NXT. The folks that have used it claim it shines as well as liquid gold much goes on quicker and cures quicker. I haven't tried it personally.

Larry,

I use the Zymol myself, and I've never had a complaint about it- although I tend to be a bit anal about layering on multiple coats.

Most of folks at CAC that I've ever asked this of all swear by Zaino.

-Patrick

Eagle One Nano wax

I just recently tried Eagle One Nano wax :D ... on my yellow 2001, I really liked it and have a great shine. So far, totally satistied with this new wax ... better than Meguiar's wax I was using. It Even came with a promotional microfiber cloth. Priced about the same as Zymol. Even the bugs were having a hard time staying on the hood ...they were sliding !!! :L

Dan :v

I just used Zaino on my new 04 White Vette and thestuff is great! The car has a brilliant shine and is as smooth as can be. I've tried alot of waxes and polishes and this stuff is everything they calim it to be. Once you try it you won't go back :)

I have a couple of choices. For a good cleaning and waxing at the beginning of the season I usually use Dawn dish detergent to cut the wax from the car. Then clay bar the car, and use a Meguires cleaner wax followed by two coats of Mirror glaze #7 and then Meguires #26 yellow wax. The Mirror glaze hides the fine scratches and gives the car a very wet look and a nice smooth feel to the touch and the #26 protects the glazing.

For my weekly clean up I wash the car with turtle wax car wash and rub it down with Turtle Wax Emerald series paste wax. That leaves the car with a very nice shine. At dusk the car almost glows (Torch Red). However, I believe the secret to a nice shine (aside from keeping the car clean) is to either have a car with near perfect paint to begin with (ie new or freshly repainted car) or to use a glaze of some kind to optically hide the fine imperfections.

Brett

Larry's Yellow Rdstr said:
I have used many type of waxes over the years and have came to believe Liquid Glass is right at the top for ease on/off and final results. Meguairs (sp) has just come out with a new product. Has anyone found a wax with which they are totally satisfied-especially on a black car.

Thanks to all.

LArry

my friend with a '65 vert also uses Liquid Glass and loves it but correct me if i'm wrong but Liquid Glass is not a wax, it's a polish. As I understand it a polish is just like a very, very fine compound. It will strip old wax and other things off the finish like water marks, sap, etc and it does leave a very shiney and smooth finish (my friends car feels great to the touch) but without a wax applied afterwards there is really no protection on the paint.

personally, on my '65 coupe I use Meguiars show car glaze #7 which is like a polish followed by Meguiars yellow wax #26. If the car starts to get a bit dusty I'll wipe it down with my california brush than hit it with Meguiars Quik Detail.
When I bought the car it was only about 500 miles after a complete frame-off and it had been "professionally" detailed also but after using the Meguiars it was no comparison - it was much smoother to the touch and much more glossy than before.Even though the car had been restored, they left the paint alone as it was in pretty good shape for being approx 12 years old but the Meguiars really made it come alive.

i've read a lot about the Zaino though and wouldn't mind trying it sometime.

Thanks to all.

LArry
Turtle Wax Platinum Series Ultra Gloss. In a side by side test, I used Zaino, Liquid Glass, Meguiars Gold Class, Black Magic Body Wet and Turtle Wax Ultra Gloss. The Ultra Gloss went on smoother, came off the easiest and left the hardest, most shiny surface. I, currently, won't use anything else. ;)

I have used just about every wax out there and spent about $800 doing it. I have to say for most applications Zaino is the best. There is ONE exception, BLACK... I started using pinnacle Souveran wax and on my black C5 and its the best!! I did not like the way Zaino looked on my C5 and with the amount of work it took on my black C5, I was not happy with it. It sorta looked a little greasy, I could never get it to have that deep wet look. I just was not happy with it and I used it on my last three cars..

I tried the pinnacle "Souveran" wax http://www.pinnaclewax.com/ because it had a reputation of being the best on black. Their right!! It's very expensive, more than Zaino but, its worth it!! After I got two coats of wax on it, I now can do the entire car in under 30 min!!! I'm not concerned about how long any wax last because I wax it once a month anyway:D

My two cents...

Thanks to all.

LArry

Ardex seal-B, specifically for black cars. Great product. Use with orbital buffer. As a former detail business owner, this is the real deal. Follow up with wax of your choice, my favorite is Malco's flash wax for its ease of application.

Z_OH_6 said:
Turtle Wax Platinum Series Ultra Gloss. In a side by side test, I used Zaino, Liquid Glass, Meguiars Gold Class, Black Magic Body Wet and Turtle Wax Ultra Gloss. The Ultra Gloss went on smoother, came off the easiest and left the hardest, most shiny surface. I, currently, won't use anything else. ;)
I was wondering about that stuff. Thanks for the review!

Have to agree with SLICKMAN,Pinnacle Souveran by far the BEST;lot of money,but the easiest and best shine I've every seen and used.(black 80)

I use Zaino more work,but the shine worst every penny.

vette84us:upthumbs

Zaino Bros gets my vote.

I've been using Zaino Products for the last several years and find them to be excellent. Great finish and deep shine. Very little maintenance afterward.

Thanks to all.

LArry

vette84us said:
I use Zaino more work,but the shine worst every penny.

vette84us:upthumbs
I don't believe that there are any bad choices out there. All waxes are good.
Some are excellent. It's just a matter of personal choice.

Having said that, I use nothing but Zaino on my Tripleblack.
I'll agree that it's a little bit more work initially, but once you "prep" the car,
Zaino is easier than most polishes/waxes.
It doesn't leave any residue/dust, and comes off very easily.
I used the Polish lock first and afterwards Z5.
Z5 is all you need for dark colors.

My roadster must have at least 25 coats on it by now, and the paint looks great.
I use Z2 on my Wife's Quicksilver Z06.

Good luck with your choice and enjoy.

Regards,
Pedro

I'm a believer now. I applied Meguiars NXT Generation Tech Wax on top of Mirror Glaze #7 and the results were unbelievable. Very wet looking and deep. This is on a Saddle paint job. I'd love to see it on black or red.

Not trying to sound stupid but does it matter when you put the first coat of wax on a new car? Of course it has a great shine but I'm wondering if a coat of Zaino would make it look better?

Chris

Ncbosshoss said:
Not trying to sound stupid but does it matter when you put the first coat of wax on a new car? Of course it has a great shine but I'm wondering if a coat of Zaino would make it look better?

Chris
I just Zaino on my new white 04 and it definitely made a difference. The sooner you put it on the better!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom