Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Best way to get a replacement key and fob for 2000 Corvette

mrfixit

Corvette
2000 Black coupe
I lost one of the key & fob that came with the car. Dealer quoted $350 to replace. Hopefully someone has a better idea!

Find out the VATS code on your other key, and buy a new key from Ecklers (10 to 20 dollars), then have the new key cut. The fobs can be bought via eBay for around 80-90 dollars.

Find out the VATS code on your other key, and buy a new key from Ecklers (10 to 20 dollars), then have the new key cut. The fobs can be bought via eBay for around 80-90 dollars.

Does this take care of the programming, when I get the VATS code and buy the correct key? I saw the key fobs on eBay, but I didn't understand if there is another step to make it operable. Do you have to get the key cut at some place special or can any locksmith do it? Thanks for the help!

The real easy way to go about this is to go on E-Bay and do a search for Corvette key. This will bring up a lot of keys for sale, what you are looking for is the information which will explain how you determine which VATS key you need for your car. it's really simple to do, you just need to learn how to do it. Any Lock Smith will be able to cut you a new key. As to the FOB do the same kind of search and you will find many, many FOBS for sale. The FOB will have to be Matched to your CAR. This is a simple thing that you can do yourself and the directions on how is in your owners manual. Good Luck!!

Roland

Most local locksmiths can get you the fob and key for less than fleabay. Try one in your town.

I just bought a FOB for my truck, it was $60 delivered. The ones for the Corvette were a little more as it has the passive which I don't use.

Others have already posted excellent advice on the key.

Key

I lost one of the key & fob that came with the car. Dealer quoted $350 to replace. Hopefully someone has a better idea!

I bought a 2002, only came with one key...thought i had to go through dealer...not so, went to a key and lock place here in Austin, Tx...cost $20 to have key made

Understand, there are early FOBs and later ones and they will not interchange. They are 97-00, and 01-04.

I paid $5.50 for my spare keys (I have 4) and $19 for 2 fobs (I have 4 of those also. Here's how.

This post applies to anyone who needs a spare key for any vehicle that has a chip in the key. You've seen the prices of these keys, and if you think they are trying to rip you a new one then you are correct-a-mucho!

If you have a chip on both sides of the key, then you have a double-sided VAT (vehicle anti-theft) key. If the chip is only on one side, then you have a single-sided VAT key. Now that you know which key you have, here's how to replace it for cheap!

In order to get a replacement key for DIRT cheap, do this. Measure the chip inside the key. See picture below for clarification:

vat_key.jpg

(I made sure the picture was big enough for blind guys and gals like me)

Here's a short video on reading your VAT key for those who may need more clarification.

How to Read a VAT Key - YouTube

Look at the measurement that you get. The number will be close to, or one of the following from this list:

VATSResistanceTable.jpg

Your results may have a decimal in front of it, after the first number, or not at all depending on how your ohm meter is set to read the resistance.

If your number is "1407", then you need to purchase a #6 Double Sided Blank Vats Key for GM Vehicles if you are replacing or adding to your C5 Corvette key collection. If your number is "4748", then you need to purchase a #11 Double Sided Blank Vats Key for GM Vehicles. If your number is "524", then you need to purchase a #2 Double Sided Blank Vats Key for GM Vehicles. So on, and so on, and so on. I know which number key to buy because I'm comparing my results to the chart above.

Once you have your Vats number, you can jump on eBay and get a blank replacement key. I bought mine from a place called Locksmith Source but they are out of business now. They had the cheapest price so that's too bad. There are a bunch of other places that sell double-sided VAT keys on eBay but their prices are higher than what I paid. I only paid $5.50 for my blank keys.

I ordered 2 more keys on top of the one I had. Now I have a spare, my girlfriend stores one (not that she'll be using it or anything), and I have the third. Multiple keys is the only way to go!

I took my blank keys to the locksmith and he cut them for $2! That was it! Walked out to the car and they both started the car on the first try. If you're paying more than this for a replacement key that has a chip in it, then please donate some of that extra money you need to blow to my gas fund!

The Junkman :happyanim:

Last edited:
I ordered 2 more keys on top of the one I had. Now I have a spare, my girlfriend stores one (not that she'll be using it or anything), and I have the third. Multiple keys is the only way to go!

The Junkman :happyanim:

You let your girlfriend drive your Corvette? Dude..........:)

You let your girlfriend drive your Corvette? Dude..........:)

Read that line ONE more time, especially the part in parenthesis... :D

Read that line ONE more time, especially the part in parenthesis... :D

I did read it the first time, not saying I entirely believe it though.......:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom