Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Best way to get ATF back into auto trans

HallenTi

Corvette
2006 Victory Red coupe
I plan to change the ATF and filter on my 1999 (has just over 28,000 miles now). I have read several different write-ups on changing the fluid, and have looked under it myself. The articles say "Refill the trans fluid" and that is it. No explanation is made of the best way to do that operation.

I just can't see how, from underneith, through the open drain plug, right next to the exhaust, how you can just "Refill the trans fluid". You can't just tip the bottle up and pour like those that have a top-mounted dipstick tube. Looks to me like a suction gun would be the best way to go, but I am looking for some advice.

I know that you put in a specified amount through the drain plug, put the plug back in loosely, start the engine and run it through reverse, drive, reverse a few times, then take the drain plug back out with the engine still running then fill until it is just at the bottom of the drain plug hole. It just seems that the "Refill trans fluid" is a little over simplified. Let me know what you think. Tim

Get one of those bulb hand pumps with the plastic hoses. It will make things real easy. Put one end in the bottle and one end in the trans. and squeeze away.

or, just attach clear tubing to the spout on the ATF fluid bottle. Then just squeeze it.

HallenTi said:
I plan to change the ATF and filter on my 1999 (has just over 28,000 miles now). I have read several different write-ups on changing the fluid, and have looked under it myself. The articles say "Refill the trans fluid" and that is it. No explanation is made of the best way to do that operation.

I just can't see how, from underneith, through the open drain plug, right next to the exhaust, how you can just "Refill the trans fluid". You can't just tip the bottle up and pour like those that have a top-mounted dipstick tube. Looks to me like a suction gun would be the best way to go, but I am looking for some advice.

I know that you put in a specified amount through the drain plug, put the plug back in loosely, start the engine and run it through reverse, drive, reverse a few times, then take the drain plug back out with the engine still running then fill until it is just at the bottom of the drain plug hole. It just seems that the "Refill trans fluid" is a little over simplified. Let me know what you think. Tim

Hi Tim -

$10 hand transfer pump from Autozone etc.

filling.jpg

Works great.

It is easier to transfer it from a gallon jug, so pour your quarts into a clean gallon so you won't have to swapt bottles in mid-fill.....makes a mess....

best regards -

mqqn

Found the transfer pump you suggested and did the job with that. Worked very well indeed! :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom