Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Best way to tune 1990 w/ some intake mods

Sam Meade

Corvette
So I got the high flow air filter with the open air box cover, smooth coupler from air box to throttle body, and a new 52mm throttle body from BBK. I am going to take the plenum, runners, and intake manifold into a local machine shop to get them ported to take advantage of the new throttle body, and I was wondering if I would need a tune after a job like this, and what would be the best way to do that. I know my car uses the PROM and I can have one made for my car with these modifications. Is that the best way to go or is there another way that you guys know of to tune these engines.

I use Dynamic EFI's EBL system.

That ECM has a flash programmable capability that lets you upload a calibration from your personal laptop. For your car, it would be the EBL Flash P4 which is for port injection.

You can use your laptop to datalog the car as you drive it. The software from Dynamic EFI will even make recommendations for the fueling in what is called the VE learn function.

While you can easily use an off the shelf tune for the mods you have, I think if you add a cam or change the heads you'd like to have the ability to tune it yourself.

I have had EBL for two years. It is incredibly useful for logging and measuring what the car is doing so that I have data to go on to make changes to the calibration.

It has allowed me to run a bigger cam, and to dial in spark, VE, larger injectors, set injector pulse width, idle, IAC and throttle response, and even set specific AFRs for idle/cruise and WOT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take the 52 mm TB back and get a refund. You don't need it. L98s, even with head work, will never turn the rpm where a 52-mm throttle bores are needed. In fact, with a stock L98, even with ported heads, you may loose performance on the low end with such a big TB.

The aftermarket air box might offer a slight improvement.

You could gain a little more with a low restriction exhaust and headers.

To get real power from the L98 you have to change the camshaft, port the heads then change the runner length and the plenum.

I use Dynamic EFI's EBL system.

That ECM has a flash programmable capability that lets you upload a calibration from your personal laptop. For your car, it would be the EBL Flash P4 which is for port injection. (snip)
That is not correct.

A 1990 ECM cannot be "flashed" to change the calibration.

Only 1994 or later C4s with the VIN P engine have ECMs with EEPROMs which can be flashed. 84-93 use an EPROM which has to be erased, first, then "burned" with the new cal.

That is not correct.

A 1990 ECM cannot be "flashed" to change the calibration.

Only 1994 or later C4s with the VIN P engine have ECMs with EEPROMs which can be flashed. 84-93 use an EPROM which has to be erased, first, then "burned" with the new cal.

Hib... Dynamic EFI's ECMs are indeed flashable from a laptop.
EBL P4 Flash

I've suggested changing out his ECM to one from Dynamic EFI so that if/when he changes the cam he can tune it... :thumb

Dynamic EFI P4 Flash Overview said:
Details:

The EBL P4 system sends ECM data to a laptop or PC running the What's Up Display program. It is simply the best and fastest data logger available for GM ECMs. The data stream contains all available engine and vehicle parameters.

Included on the EBL board is eight analog input channels. The data from these inputs is included real time with the ECM data. These analog inputs can be used for data logging WB O2 units, fuel pressure, and any other 0 to 5V linear device (accelerometer, oil pressure, oil temperature, suspension travel, and so on).

The software to run the engine is the result of years of effort. It has been enhanced to support engines from stock through high performance monsters. Handles boost to 30 psi. The EBL code provides functionality not found in stock ECMs. Wet N2O control, lean cruise, cranking prime pulses, ability to select open loop modes for cruise, deceleration or idle.

For example:

• A real shift light
  • Soft touch rev limiter
  • 1, 2 and 3-bar MAP support with boost SA retard and fuel multiplier tables
  • Spark tables are high resolution and full size up to 6,400 RPM
  • VE tables are high resolution and full size up to 8,000 RPM
  • Acceleration enrichment (AE) tables have been expanded
  • Changes to the fueling algorithms have been made to provide a smoother, stronger running engine.
  • Electric fan control for 2 fans
  • N2O wet system control: minimum MPH, TPS threshold, RPM window. Arming input
  • Smart A/C control: PE disable, upper/lower RPM shutoff, re-enable delay
  • Lean cruise mode for better fuel mileage
  • Open loop fueling modes
  • N-Alpha mode
  • Emissions functions: EGR, CCP, A.I.R. and closed loop fueling
The enhancements to the ECM code are too numerous to list. Once tuned your engine will run better then it ever has.

For a stock Vette... EBL is slightly overkill. EBL does come with a BIN for the 1990 Vettes. :thumb

And... all of our Vettes started out stock. ;) :chuckle :thumb

But hey, it's food for thought around tuning and future mods, right? Especially when you talk about cam changes.

Hib... Dynamic EFI's ECMs are indeed flashable from a laptop.
EBL P4 Flash

I've suggested changing out his ECM to one from Dynamic EFI so that if/when he changes the cam he can tune it... :thumb

In the case of some aftermarket engine controller, such as those from Dynamic, you can "flash" new cals into the controller.

"KANE" is right.
I was wrong in saying the EBL system can't be flashed and I apologize to "KANE" for saying he was wrong. I read his post too quickly and missed the part about the EBL ECM.

That said, a stock ECM in 81-83 Corvettes has only an EPROM not an EEPROM, so it cannot be "flashed" as can ECMs in 94-16 Corvettes.

Now, a slightly different issue...

The EBL P4 system sends ECM data to a laptop or PC running the What's Up Display program. It is simply the best and fastest data logger available for GM ECMs.(snip)
How did you determine it was the fastest logger available? How much faster is it than the logging applications which come with HPT and EFI-Live?

Finally, this part confused me a bit...

The data stream contains all available engine and vehicle parameters
By "vehicle parameters" are you talking about data from the chassis or brake controllers?

Last edited:
I don't want to thoroughly hijack this thread, but as folks read this and it gets searched over in an archive... a response might be helpful

How did you determine it was the fastest logger available? How much faster is it than the logging applications which come with HPT and EFI-Live?

Dynamic EFI is not a company I work for (or with). So, they are the best folks to ask questions to. :thumb

That said, EBL's datalogs are at 17 FPS.

By "vehicle parameters" are you talking about data from the chassis or brake controllers?

The EBL ECM can pull in up to 16 different types of devices- from wideband O2 sensors to additional O2, MAP, or whatever sensors, ect. and all can be user defined. These can be connected to one of the 8 ADC channels for data logging- on my '82, I am using a wideband O2 sensor.

Here's a bunch of the parameters monitored and recorded... RUNTIME, RPM, MPH, MAP, FUEL PSI, BARO, VAC, VE%,TPS %, CTS Temp, IAT Temp, Narrow Band O2, G/S, SA, Retard, KnkCt, Inj Synch PW, Inj Asynch PW, Injector DC%, AE, DE, Highway, PE, Closed Loop, BLM Enleanment, Fans on/off, A/C on/off, Torque Converter Enagement, EGR open/closed, INT, BLM, BPC, IAC steps, AFR, WB, dTPS, tpsAE, dMAP, mapAE, aePW.

WudScreenshots

(snip)

Dynamic EFI is not a company I work for (or with). So, they are the best folks to ask questions to. :thumb

That said, EBL's datalogs are at 17 FPS. (snip)

Now I'm even more baffled. Earlier you said:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by KANE
It is simply the best and fastest data logger available for GM ECMs.(snip)
If you don't work for or with the company, did you base that statement on your own testing of various loggers or did you base it on Dynamic EFIs marketing information comparing its product to other similar products?

Now I'm even more baffled. Earlier you said:

If you don't work for or with the company, did you base that statement on your own testing of various loggers or did you base it on Dynamic EFIs marketing information comparing its product to other similar products?

It's all good. :D

I think this will clear things up. :thumb

I pulled the text right off Dynamic EFI's web page and put it in a quote box- and attributed to them. ;)

It says "Originally Posted by Dynamic EFI P4 Flash Overview" in the quote box the forum generates. It's a small but important piece that sets the context for the quote as something that comes from their web page. The content comes from page hyperlinked in the same post as well. Apologies if that created confusion.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom