Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Big Block C1's

Evenin' Gents...

I like the 400 small block real well too Studidog...the low end torque is great for a small block .....and they are cheap to build. The only thing I don't like about those engines is the siamesed cylinders. With the high temps here in Texas and the radiators you have to use in the c1's ...well they are prone to heat anyway... and then depending on the cam etc....

However...cooling is one of the biggest drawbacks for the big block too......

I imagine I will build some kind of stroker as you suggest Viking.

I have had several in the last 2 decades...Jegs has a cheap 383 stroker kit complete for about $850 too.

Forged cranks and pistons, angle plug 2.02's in the old days were run of the mill...less than that now is hard for me to do. The cheap kits with hyperutectic pistons, cast cranks and so on are holding up pretty good from what I'm told. But since I've never built one that way I probably wouldn't be proud of one if I had one...if you know what I mean. Old habits are hard to break.
On top of that the outstanding small block heads that we can get today are like candy...too good to resist. (even at $1200 they are a bargain..AFR's for instance)

The real kicker is , no small block can put a smile on your face like a big block can....sb's may even be quicker but brute torque has no equal. I've had many of each...some are what memories are made of, and in my case all the memory makers were biguns'

Many thanks for the input gentlemen...practicality insures that I will likely have a small block...just wishful thinking and making sure I investigate all options thoroughly.

Best regards...Stan

Stan's Customs said:
I like the 400 small block real well too Studidog...the low end torque is great for a small block .....and they are cheap to build. The only thing I don't like about those engines is the siamesed cylinders. With the high temps here in Texas and the radiators you have to use in the c1's ...well they are prone to heat anyway... and then depending on the cam etc....
I hear you. Heat is always an issue with the 400 SB, especially in Texas! The stroker is making more & more sense. Good lluck with your decision.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom