Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Big Block Intake Manifold

scottygrant

Corvette
1971 LS5 Convertible
Hello all. I've got a 1971 454 that I put a Torker II manifold on as it's the only one that *barely* fits under the hood. A few questions for those who may have some experience with the under-hood limitations of the LS-5:

1. The Torker II is OK, but I'd rather have more low-end torque. Is there an aftermarket low-rise dual plane aluminum manifold that will fit under the hood?
2. The oval ports on the Torker II are significantly smaller than the oval ports on my LS-5 heads...this seems to be an abnormal situation...is it?
3. I recall there was an aluminum intake manifold for Big Blocks with a "Winters" foundry marking on it. Am I recalling this correctly, is it a dual plane low-rise unit, and can I get one?

I'm new to the group, and thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Scott
1971 LS5 Convertible 4-speed

1. No.
2. They are probably sized for the later BB truck heads. No much you can do.
3. Yep. It's the 71 LS6 manifold. Good luck in finding one. Only 188 engines were built.

In reality all intake manifolds for BBs which fit under standard BB hoods suck but the one which sucks the least is what you have now. If you're suffering from what you think is a lack of low-end, I wouldn't worry about the intake manifold as much as I'd worry about the low compression, your spark advance and how your carburetor is calibrated.

Manifold-wise, the best bet is to change hoods to the 73-77 style hood with the L88 hood bubble then install an Edelbrock Performer RPM.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom