Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Big Block swap

ChrisH

Corvette
1968 Coupe
I recently purchased a 427 to put in my '68(which currently has a 350). I am collecting parts to do this swap and complete the engine which is still apart(the short block is together). I still need pulleys, alternator brackets, but most of all I need to know what water pump I need, long or short? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Chris

Water Pump

Short pump. And for the Alternator, and use the regular BB mounting plate to bolt to the left cyl head. If you can`t find one, the early BB Camaros use the same cast iron bracket. :upthumbs

Be careful ChrisH.... I started doing exactly what you're doing on the same year model and this is what happened! The bad thing is that I'm still not finished yet!

hey chris
did you do the BB swap, how did it go
I just did mine about a week ago...... Its ready but havent driven it yet
jeff

I used the stock pulley's and only needed the stock alternator bracket. I don't have AC or PS.

11739Baldwin_Motion_Air_Cleaner_003.jpg

Hey chris
you'll find most of the parts and brackets on EBAY.... yes ebay
the crank oulley your local chevy dealer still carries it 39..923 its a 2 groove pulley
w/p is the short one readily available also exhaust manifolds ebay between $400 - 600
if you have p/s the bracket is a ***** to line up.... but also ebay (its a 4 or 5 piece comtraption) the hardest pulley is the 3 groove w/p (if you have a/s) also the most expensive.
I saw one on ebay recently .... hope you're siting ) $350.00
and you thought the engine was expensive.... just be patient...
nothing from the small block fits
jeff

good luck I just finished mine last week, i will post pix soon

Jan-March2005092(2).jpg
Sorry I have not been on here lately. My big block swap evolved into this body off project. Since this photo was taken almost three weeks ago everything has been removed from frame. If all goes well I will be painting the frame in the next few days.

Thanks everyone for all your help and interest. Hey '70 Stingray how are you able to put such big high quality photos on your posts. Thanks again and I will try and keep you posted on my progres. Wish me luck!

Chris

ChrisH said:
Thanks everyone for all your help and interest. Hey '70 Stingray how are you able to put such big high quality photos on your posts. Thanks again and I will try and keep you posted on my progres. Wish me luck!

Chris

I usually use my Sony Mavica CD400 which records the pic directly onto a CD. I have the setting for hi-resolution 1200x??? and then downsize the pic once I get it into Photoshop.

Great job you've done there.

If it weren't for positive reinforcement and help from this forum, my car would still be sitting in my garage in pieces. :blue:

I am in the process of swapping my 355 with a guy that has a 454. What front spring weight did you guys use to support the BB?

I'm getting the pullys and headers and giving up mine, so I sure hope they fit the Vette. Sounds like a pricey proposition if they don't.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom