Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Big trouble! Scared me to death!

Corvette
1981 white/blue interior automatic
I'm driving to school today and everything is okay.. besides my "normal" rough idle.. then I notice my passanger window wont go down.. so I slam the door..it starts working again..then I try to turn on the radio.. the mast doesnt go up.. fine. these are no big deals.. then.. thank God Im almost home from school and my check engine light goes on.. I put a little gas on it and it goes away... its happened before... THEN! I get to a stop sign.. my voltmeter drops to half.. my battery light gets fully illuminated.. AND I hear a very odd screeching coming from around my glove box! So I put some gas on it, trying to get home before it dies.. the screetching goes away.. but the battery light and voltmeter stay messed up.. then I notice my choke light is on... everytime I slow down, the screetching comes back.. something to do with the alternator charge?? Does the window and radio have anything to do with it you think? I have an appointment with the mechanic next wensday.. I would just like some ideas on what you think it could be?

-Tatortot

under hood

warren,

I looked under the hood, the alt. belt looks fine, also I cant hear if the noise is coming from the alt. or not but I dont think it is. Should I disconnect the battery so it doesnt drain? It has to sit for a week till the mechanic and I dont want to try and fire it up and not have it start.. will it drain at all being hooked up? Thanks for your reply.

-Tatortot

warren,

All is well with the engine I was just running off of the battery, thanks for your quick reply.

-Tatortot

to check and see if the noise is comming from the alt. take a screw driver, put the metel end on the alt, and your ear to the other (watch out for moving parts!!) and see if you can hear the noise more clearly. with the engine off grab onto the alt pully, and try moving it, if there is a lot of play in it than the bearing is bad. sometimes taping the alt with a hammer (at least this is what my dad tells me) will get it to charge again (something may be sticking inside.

hope this helps, and good luck!

-Chris

Re: Get a BIGGER hammer

c5d said:
Couldn't help myself sorry.... Old timer's joke... use the FORD Wrench, e.g., get a bigger hammer!

C'ya
D

In addition, you could take a set of Tennessee Socket Wrenches to it. Also know as: Channel Lock Pliers

:gap

Wow thanks for the suggestions everyone, Ill get out there and see what I can see/do today, Im almost positive its the alternator at this point. No slipage of the alt. belt though, Ill check today for undo glazing and wear. Ill keep you all posted and thanks again.. this takes care of one of my problems.. next up the window, the mast, the brake squeeling (shims came loose, cant get out without taking off caliper), coolent flush, rough idle, tough cold starts. :v

-Tatortot

Beautiful sounding victory!

I got my corvette back from the mechanic yesterday after almost 2 weeks and $700.. all I can say is WOW!! It is running 20 times better then before.. he finally found the rough idle problem!! It was the egr valve, plus a leaky carb base gasket (even though it was just rebuilt?) But she puuuurrrrrrrs now like a kitten... 550 rpm in gear, 700 in park or neutral.. whats more perfect then that?? Oh and the alternator was replaced.. and had a coolent flush.. and had my brake anti rattle shims taken out.. there is absolutely no odd noise at all now.. everything sounds amaaaaazzzing.. Im so happy.. thanks everyone for your support and help. $700 is nothing to pay for a sweet sounding corvette and a piece of mind.

-Tatortot

-Tatortot,

How'd you come out on the storm damage to your precccious?

Sounds like your are getting all the small stuff sorted out on her, and as always young jedi it's good seeing you posting here..
Hows college going? Keep on keeping on young -tator and I'm proud of the way you keep your "OLD SHARK" in great shape..
Look forward to meeting up one of these light years..

Glad you got her running like she wants too ;)

Bud
Yo

Thanks!

Hey there Bud, thanks for the kind words. For the hurricane the vette was at the shop.. safer there then here with all the trees.. but I was still worried.. when I went to pick her up I see in giant red letters on the work schedule "BRING IN VETTES BEFORE STORM!" So it was actually basically in a concrete bunker the whole time.. thank goodness. College is... well college.. hard and time consuming.. but Im taking a really interesting chemistry class.. one step closer to being an engineer now. As for the vette.. very few broken things left on it thank goodness... the big one is the paint... makes me sad everytime I see it.. just gotta keep saving up..one day itll all be perfect. Let me know if youre ever in this neck of the woods! Thanks agian.

-Tatortot

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom