Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Black C5 which wax?

Larry's Yellow Rdstr said:
Dale,
I use the California duster daily after blowing off the large chunks of dust with my air compressor (40 psi at an angle)......QUOTE]

On a black car I would advise against this, it collects dust then you are moving dust all over the car, and in my mind you will see scratches especially on a black car. I think my bro tried this on his car and was very unhappy, maybe he will chime in. Now on the interior those things work very well, but I would not use it on a painted surface. It is like using a sponge to wash your car, you get one one little spec of dirt then you wipe it all over the car, leaving scratches. To answer your question the wax I use is Mothers Carnuba, it goes on fairly easy and comes off easy and it leaves a good shine.

Justin

black vette wax

Well fellow black vette owner as you now know ,almost nothing looks better then our sinister lady after we have spent the best part of sat. morning spreading the love! (see wax!) Ive used a product called.......pig snot ,that i won at a car show , ive heard raves from bike owners about it and it worked well on my 2002 softail. soooooooooooooooooo...I thought id give it a try on my vette. long story short, it does give a very very smooth finish, almost looks wet.But it has no resistance to the weather,it showed almost no beading after 3 days when it rained on us. But if you would like, ship your c-5 to me and over the next few years ill try to find the best finish for you! hehe! see ya on the road!! keep safe! Doug Castner...aka,,,CAPTBANE@YAHOO.COM

Use Mother's.

DON'T use zaino..!

-Bill.:D

Everyone always complains that Zaino is too much work on the first application, but honestly, you really don't need to do all those crazy steps. Just buy the Zaino Z2 and be done with it. I've never bothered with all the extra steps on any of my vehicles and they turn out looking just fine. I just bought a black C5 a few weeks ago and the previous owner definitely kept the car waxed nicely, and I just simply went straight to a coat of Zaino Z2. It took less than a half hour in total to apply and remove it and the car shines incredibly well. Perhaps if you used a spectrometer you might notice a better shine with using all the crazy extra steps, but honestly is it worth the effort? Just keep it simple and then you've got more time for driving! :) I like my car to look clean, but I don't like to spend hours and hours detailing it when I could be spending that time on the road. I've put 1700 miles on this car since I got it three weeks ago! And it's never stayed dirty more than a few hours max, I've kept it looking clean, but I also never spend more than a half hour washing it (usually it's washed and dried in 20min)

To prevent swirl marks use any quality wax/protectant you want!
But- use a new or washed applicator each time (if you drop it, get another one, they sell them in packs at the parts store for about a buck apeice, cheap insurance) Keep the dirt in the bottom of your wash bucket seperate from your sheep skin mit with a screen in the bottom (you can make one from wire mesh from Home Depot), if you drop the clay bar THROW IT AWAY (yes I know it's a shame to waste it but you'll regret reusing it later) Dry your car with a 100% cotton towel (Hillcrest or Cannon, no imports, they'll scratch) or a new 'MICRO FIBER" towel.
Get a CALIFORNIA CAR DUSTER and use it to dust your car BEFORe you place the car cover on while it sits forlornly in the garage waiting for your return.

I've owned numerous black vehicles, if you are fastidious about keeping the dirt seperate from any thing you are placing on the car the swirl marks will not come into the picture.

For a black car I would use nothing but Zaino. I have tried NXT and it did not look half as good and did not last very long at all. NXT also has cleaners and abrasives and cannot be layered. Last time I used Liquid Glass it had cleaners and abrasives in it and any product that has any cleaners or abrasives in it CANNOT be layered. Carnuba's are to easily affected by heat and do not last. I never understood these people that say Zaino is alot of work, even the first time. The work they are referring to is the paint prep which should be done before you use any product. No matter what you use your finish will only look as good as the prep or condition of your paint. If your paint is in great shape or new no prep work is required except removal of any wax on the surface which is as easy as washing with dawn (you have to was the car first anyway) or wiping down with prep-sol or 50/50 alchol and water. I can Zaino my vette in 30 minutes, maybe 45 if I do the wheels to.

I'm sure Zaino is a great product. But one of the things you mentioned in your post was that Liquid Glass cannot be layered and that is incorrect. I use multple coats on a regular basis for a deeper shine.

agentf1 said:
For a black car I would use nothing but Zaino. I have tried NXT and it did not look half as good and did not last very long at all. NXT also has cleaners and abrasives and cannot be layered. Last time I used Liquid Glass it had cleaners and abrasives in it and any product that has any cleaners or abrasives in it CANNOT be layered. Carnuba's are to easily affected by heat and do not last. I never understood these people that say Zaino is alot of work, even the first time. The work they are referring to is the paint prep which should be done before you use any product. No matter what you use your finish will only look as good as the prep or condition of your paint. If your paint is in great shape or new no prep work is required except removal of any wax on the surface which is as easy as washing with dawn (you have to was the car first anyway) or wiping down with prep-sol or 50/50 alchol and water. I can Zaino my vette in 30 minutes, maybe 45 if I do the wheels to.
=========================================================

You are definately incorrect about LiquidGlass...LiquidGlass is NOT a wax and it has NO cleaners. NO silicones, NO abrasives whatsoever...PERIOD! and it CAN be layered as many coats as you wish...the more coats the more protection...thats a fact!...call and speak with LiquidGlass tech...:D

No streaks or swirls

I used Mequier's NXT on my black '99. I wasn't looking for an easy job, but this was very easy to apply and reove. I did half the car and wiped it off before doing the other half. There is no residue and there are no streaks or swirls. It doesn't get in the cracks.

Water still beads after a few washes and several weeks. I'll stick with stuff since it looks great and I'd rather drive than wax. I did the whole car in 1-1/2 hours at a relaxed pace.

Another car wax debate: Zaino vs. Meguiars vs. blah blah blah. :eyerole

I sense this is another debate that will never reach a resolution.
:hb

As for the swirl marks, I recommend that you read Detailing Dude's comments about how to prevent them in the Care and Detailing forum. You can also visit his website to get more information.
-Patrick

Guys I believe you all have different results with each products because its all about the initial clean up, use a claybar, take your time and remove all contaminants off the car. This will ensure proper results with practically any product.

Liquid Glass

...is by far my favorite. I have been using it on all my vehicles for many years. Get yourself some and try it out! Look for the 64 Vette on the front of the tin.

JV

Collinite Insulator wax is my choice. it's a clear Carnauba wax and lasts/protects a long time.

voorthuist said:
...is by far my favorite. I have been using it on all my vehicles for many years. Get yourself some and try it out! Look for the 64 Vette on the front of the tin.

JV
Hey Mark...good choice...finally found someone else who likes LiquidGlass...I don't really think many people here have tried it...I use it on my '95 ZF6 speed competition yellow vert and I will soon be using it on my '04 torch red vert when I get the chance........I like it and you can build up a lot of coats...:beer
Kenny

You can also (safely) apply it to a black car that's been sitting in the sun for a while! A lot of waxes are only supposed to be applied to a cool finish.

My vote is for Zaino. I know you will get a thousand different opinions. I am an avid Meguiars user and have used the NXT. Produces a great shine but my only complaint is that it does not last long. Zaino will stay on for 6 months. Try the Z2 and Z5 with ZFX. You will not be sorry.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom