Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Black Magic Tire Wet -EGAD!!!

So Bay Vetter

Corvette
1996 Collector LT4
Sorry for this almost pointless post but it may save somebody the annoyance.

After waxing my Vette last weekend, I tried some of this new Black Magic Tire Wet; the stuff comes in a palm size foam applicator. I thought cool! no more wiping the overspray off the wheels.

EGAD!! This stuff has the consistancy of vegetable oil. I drove 24 hrs after applying a thin coat, it threw black, oily spatters all over my freshly waxed fenders and made my tires a crap magnet!! They were covered with gravel, dog hair, all kinds of crap. Thank God I didn't get into any heavy dust, I still be wiping the crap off!

OK, I've vented, I feel better . . .

Ya-UCK!!!! Thanks for the heads up! I usually use Meguiar's Hot Shine Tire Spray with a handmade cardboard rim protector. I don't want my tire's looking like patent leather greased up with my Big Momma's vasoline anyway and the Meguiar's HSTS has an adjustable sprayer. Try it. You might like it. :w

Yo So Bay, Sorry to hear that, thanks for the info. But I gotta say EGAD ? !!! Now I've only ever heard that term used ont the east coast, by very few (pretty much older family members) way long ago. Wass up with that kinda lead in ;LOL Got me to look, am I alone here? ANYONE else familiar with this term? ;)

I looked right at you, So Bay, the other night at Ricky & Ronnie's, and I never associated the Vette outside with who I was looking at. Sorry 'bout that, Richard. :eek:

I prefer to use as little tire dressing as possible, and I stay well clear of anything like Armor All, Black Magic, or any kind of gel.

I'm currently using up the last of my Meguiar's then I'll use what's left of the stuff I got from the California Car Cover people (I can't remember what it's called, and it appears that they don't carry that product anymore. ;shrug), then I'll use Adam's V.R.T., but only when absolutely necessary. ;)

Moonunit 451 said:
Yo So Bay, Sorry to hear that, thanks for the info. But I gotta say EGAD ? !!! Now I've only ever heard that term used ont the east coast, by very few (pretty much older family members) way long ago. Wass up with that kinda lead in ;LOL Got me to look, am I alone here? ANYONE else familiar with this term? ;)

;LOL ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL
Archaic, yes. But very, very proper! Momma raised him right. :) Transplanted Brit, maybe? Hey, it beats calling the Lord's name in vain. Let's see..., SBV could've also said the 'D' word, the 'F' word (very popular with car enthusiasts!), the 'MF' word--too gangsta rappish, the 'H' word, the 'S' word...
There's "Zoinks!" But that's soooo Scooby Doo. "Creiky!" (sp?)--too Australian animal enthusiast-ish! Dadgummit!--too Jethro Bodine. Holy Cow!--too Robin. Good googlymoogly!--too much to say.
Okay, lemme stop. ;LOL It's a tire shine thread anyway. :w

So Bay Vetter said:
Re- EGAD!! - Just trying to be polite. Believe me, when I was wiping that crap off my new wax, my vocabulary was much more colorful![/QUOTE]

I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT!!!!! ;lol

I use Armor All Tire Shine with no problems. One thing that helps -- even though the label says "spray on the tire", I spray it on an applicator sponge THEN put it on my tires. No over-spray whatsoever. After I apply it I try to leave my car parked overnight so it soaks in.

So Bay Vetter said:
Sorry for this almost pointless post but it may save somebody the annoyance.

After waxing my Vette last weekend, I tried some of this new Black Magic Tire Wet; the stuff comes in a palm size foam applicator. I thought cool! no more wiping the overspray off the wheels.

EGAD!! This stuff has the consistancy of vegetable oil. I drove 24 hrs after applying a thin coat, it threw black, oily spatters all over my freshly waxed fenders and made my tires a crap magnet!! They were covered with gravel, dog hair, all kinds of crap. Thank God I didn't get into any heavy dust, I still be wiping the crap off!

OK, I've vented, I feel better . . .
Thanks very much for the "heads-up" on this. I really appreciate it, since I've been looking for something new to try this year.
Anyone know of a product that makes the tires look new w/out damaging the raised white letters? Thanks in advance,

-John

The previous owner of my vette wouldn’t use any of “tire protector” and the tires looked brand new when I bought the car. Guess what he used????

Drum roll please……

Ajax! Yep, that nice gritty stuff that is used for cleaning out your tub. If you think about it, it is pretty logical, at least to my demented way of thinking…

Ajax is a mild abrasive, it removes the grime that has accumulated from the road and polishes the rubber, sort of like how a facial scrub works.

Needless to say I need to be careful not to get the stuff on the wheels.

I've used Meguires tire shine, let the car sit in the garage for a week and it still splattered on the car. I remember before armourall came out, we used to use dish detergent to make the tire shine.

Len:w

JJS said:
Thanks very much for the "heads-up" on this. I really appreciate it, since I've been looking for something new to try this year.
Anyone know of a product that makes the tires look new w/out damaging the raised white letters? Thanks in advance,

-John
Try using Wesley's Blech White. It will whiten up the letters and give the black rubber a nice new fresh look, without any shine. Which is the way tires should look.
Paul

So Bay Vetter said:
Re- EGAD!! - Just trying to be polite. Believe me, when I was wiping that crap off my new wax, my vocabulary was much more colorful!

Your not the only one who found out about that JUNK the hard way :mad . Same as you, I thought, "Cool". I did mine 2 weeks ago, the side of my car looked horrific. I took out my old Black & Decker tire scrubber and removed that crap from the tires, then proceeded to wash the entire car.

I will NEVER buy anything from Black Magic again!!!!

Brillo Pad... works great.One is just about right for all four tires. I won't use the tire dressings. Any chemical that soaks into the tire may damage the rubber.

:w

EGAD,,,, used to hear that a lot around the midwest.

..or "Zounds!"

Ajax, eh? Gotta try that one. Regarding Armor All and other liquid-form tire treatments, I've long since taken to cutting them 50/50 with water (their primary ingredient anyway). This, along with the obvious benefit of extending your effective supply of the stuff, gives a more natural-looking finish, instead of the hideous, greasy-patent-leather appearance of some of these products at full strength.

I can remember the days of wiping the tires with brake fluid. It worked pretty well.

I currently use Eagle One tire shine. Spray it on, let it sit for a minute or so and then wipe off the residue. Haven't had any problems and they look great.

As Ripley would say believe it or not a thin coat of W-d 40 works real well

I use the Meguires stuff that smells like grape, but use it VERY sparingly. Mic also gave me some of the liquid that car dealers use. Great look, no spatters, but doesn't last as long as the Meguires.
[RICHR]